Sign in to follow this  
denebo

[C#] Sent & Received data

denebo    122
I ran into some trouble checking the received data (Server <-> Client) for my ORPG. For example when the client presses the right arrow, it sends a packet containing a "r" value to the server, and the server is supposed to approve it by sending it back, therefore allowing the player on the client to actually move. The problem is in the client when I receive the packet data and convert it into a string, I then check 'if(data == "r") { moveRight(); }' (etc. for all directions). The client always seems to return 'false' when it checks if data == "r", when data indeed IS == "r". I used Console.WriteLine(data) to check its value and it indeed is "r", I'm really confused. Client receive data and checking code -------------------------------------
    public void onDataReceive(IAsyncResult result)
    {
        try
        {
            Packet socketPacket = (Packet)result.AsyncState;
            int dataSize = 0;
            dataSize = socketPacket.socket.EndReceive(result);
            char[] chars = new char[dataSize + 1];
            System.Text.Decoder decoder = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetDecoder();
            int charLen = decoder.GetChars(socketPacket.buffer, 0, dataSize, chars, 0);
            string fData = new string(chars);

System.Console.WriteLine(fData); // this outputs r

if(fData == "r")
                  mainPlayer.moveRight(); // this never happens even though fData IS EQUAL TO "r"!!!!!!!!!!

waitForData(playerSocket);
        }
        catch (SocketException se)
        {
            MessageBox.Show("Lost connection to server.");
        }
    }

Bob Janova    769
Quote:
new char[dataSize + 1]

Your cvec will have a null on the back. You need to test for "r\0". Also, I hope this is UDP because in TCP the packets get run together and messages get conflated.