indie game release and pricing question

Started by
19 comments, last by Trinavarta 16 years ago
I have in development two games that I plan on releasing through steam and I wanted the input of the people here. The two games are different in style and game play, but are both basically casual games. I plan to setup a website and release demos/trailers when they near completion(2-3 months). The first is a side scrolling puzzle game with 20 maps increasing in difficulty. Each map is separated into three individual parts that you can save progress along the way. Even each part can be completed independently of the previous parts allowing you to complete the game at your own leisure. There is also an online component so you can play with a friend. As an added feature you can create puzzles and share them online. The second is a multiplayer game. The game comes with 12 maps that up to 32 players can play together. Customizable characters, weapons, power ups and large environments and five game modes(deathmatch, capture the flag, etc). No single player mode. You can create your own maps and share online. What I'm mulling over is how to package them. Should I release them separately(14.99 and 9.99 respectively) or as a two game pack(19.99). They are two games that could stand on their own but my reasoning is since one is only a multiplayer game and the other is a solid single player game the two could complement each other. Maybe I should do both, if people want to play both games they can get the game pack at a $5 savings or they can grab one without having to buy a game they don't want. Thanks for reading. Any feedback appreciated.
There is an "I" in team if you spell it wrong.
Advertisement
have you talked to valve about you using steam? I suspect its no easy task.

p88
If you make a more expensive game pack, one thing is sure: here on brazil it will be pirated (people here pirate anything that is more expensive than 9 USD)

You could make three options: one for 14, the other for 9 and the two togheter for 19 (I meant, instead of going for one or another do BOTH)
IGDA São Paulo member.Game Design student.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the distributor/retailer and not the developer/publisher sets the price of games being sold.

I know that when a publisher/distributor deals with a retailer, the retailer sets the price. In the US at least the publisher isn't supposed to set or force the price of a game on retailers because it's considered price fixing under US law.

I'm not sure how Steam deals work, but as they offer monthly discounts for a variety of products by different pubs/devs, I'm pretty sure they'd be the ones who make that decision.
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
Quote:Original post by madelelaw
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the distributor/retailer and not the developer/publisher sets the price of games being sold.
Refer to the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) concept. You don't have to sell through retailers though. Direct sales and digital distribution is the way to go, especially if you have a solid marketing strategy in place.
Morgan Ramsay
Founder, President & CEO, Entertainment Media Council, Inc.
Author, "Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play" (Apress, 2012)
www.gamersatwork.org | www.linkedin.com/in/ramsay
Quote:Refer to the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) concept. You don't have to sell through retailers though. Direct sales and digital distribution is the way to go, especially if you have a solid marketing strategy in place.

Yeah, I'm familiar with MSRP and MAP dollars, etc., which is why I brought it up. I'm not 100% on its application as far as digital sales go. Getting back to the OP, if you're distributing through Steam I'd think there would be a digital distribution agreement in place. Who has discretion to determine the price of your game under that agreement? Has anyone dealt with distributing through Steam before?

I'm just wondering if the OP will actually be able to make the price call, or if that's Steam's prerogative. As I said, Steam offers weekly discounts for a wide variety of games, so it seems like they have control over how their games are priced.

~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
Quote:Original post by madelelaw
Getting back to the OP, if you're distributing through Steam I'd think there would be a digital distribution agreement in place. Who has discretion to determine the price of your game under that agreement?
Digital distribution is e-tailing. Amazon.com, Steam, etc.—you can't set their prices either.
Morgan Ramsay
Founder, President & CEO, Entertainment Media Council, Inc.
Author, "Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play" (Apress, 2012)
www.gamersatwork.org | www.linkedin.com/in/ramsay
Has anyone pronouncing upon how Steam works actually published anything through Steam and have actual knowledge of the deals? From my discussions with publishers who distribute through Steam it certainly seems that they set their own price.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Obscure
Has anyone pronouncing upon how Steam works actually published anything through Steam and have actual knowledge of the deals? From my discussions with publishers who distribute through Steam it certainly seems that they set their own price.
From what I know (I haven't published through them, but I have received some of their developer info stuff) that is correct - they set their own prices.
http://edropple.com
There are several different contracts that you must enter into in order to get your game sold on Steam. If you were actually serious about it, might I suggest a flight out to their Headquarters for a meeting with Doug Lombardi? It would be the quickest way to negotiate, and being there in person typically lends credence to your seriousness as a developer.

Anyways, an easier option might be to distribute your game electronically via Protexis' RED (Retail Electronic Distribution) service that they offer. Visit www.protexis.com and E-mail Jason Kiwaluk (jason.kiwaluk@protexis.com) for more information. Basically, they offer a middleman type service where they host your game exe file on their server, and then their retail partners (big names like tigerdirect.com, download.com, etc.) link to your game via their online store-front. They can be browsing games at any of those retailers sites and can purchase them straight from there. The retailer and protexis take a 30% cut (total) and you keep the other 70%. It seems pretty fair. Also, there is no exclusivity deal either, so you are free to pursue other routes of publishing in addition to the RED plan.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement