Sign in to follow this  
wodinoneeye

Game disk snapped in half,, manual torn up, whole mess thrown in trash

Some games impell me do do this (only 3 in over 20 years and many dozens of games played) out of frustration and a desire to prevent further frustration. (I did take many lame games back in the old days, but you usually cant do that now). Issue: no cheat to get past a 'level' of a game that forces the player to repeat the same @!$%^& level over and over until some stupid achievement is made. The game being a PC port of a console game and not having the cheats that they DID put in the console games. The game seeming to be a half-done port which has different dynamics because a keyboard is used instead of a control pad and the @#%$%^& cheap arsed company doing little to adjust the game to play on the different platform. I thought I was going to get some amusement but only into the second level and got faced with excessive frustration. I managed to achieve the stupid twitchy feat required (apparently by luck since I couldnt figure out what I had done to do it when doing random moves -- after MANY repeats before the "DESTROY IT NOW" threshold was reached) and THEN it wanted me to do it again.... I manages to somehow after several retries to do it twice and the stupid thing wanted me to do it YET again (third time) with no exit from this trap being apparent. The game is (was) Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End ($9.99 now) and is mainly a single console hack/slash fighting style game with obvious puzzles and 'special' moves/ unlocked goodies etc.... The second level has an Eenmy that you cant kill and you have to maneuver it into a certain special position (using special moves) for some special sequence to take place. You can only Save at the end of levels (you can pause the game for whatever thats worth) It would restart the scene after you died, but you couldnt stop just before it so you could quit/resume the ganme there. The First level was fine, and at lest half way thru the second it went without problems, but then the frustration situation. Redoing the specific opponent scenario was bad, but having to redo all the stuff before it over and over made it far worse. You might say -- "you didnt try hard enough to learn the interface/tricks", but SHOULD I have to work with a twitchy unbalanced/clumsy interface and repeat the same stuff 20X before getting it figured out and getting it right? Then to face similar frustrating crap over and over in the rest of the levels ad nauseum??? I DID manage to do what was needed after many retries (and it would have been tolerable at that point) BUT the stupid game for some reason then required you to do it over and over (I suppose some exit may have opened at that point but it sprang more threats immediately and I had no chance to explore for it) Other games have frustrating choke points in their game flow but most dont block/limit your options the way this style of game does - linear with minor side 'missions', no alternate paths. I would have liked to play this game all the way thru, the graphics were sufficient and the interactions amusing enough to at least go thru once. BUT Ive been down the road on a few previous games like this one to know how bad the frustration gets. Its just not worth it. Snap went the CD, Rip went the manual (thin these days --arent they) and whoosh into the trash and zap went the Uninstall. I think I will stay away from all console ports in future. ----- *** RANT MODE OFF *** ---------------------------------------- Anyway, the Design Issues involved : 1) Infrequent/poor choice of Save points 2) lack of cheats to bypass blocking points in game (subissue of allowing casual play) 3) badly done porting of console games 4) lack of alternatives to 'puzzles' Possible improvements: Better placed Savepoints (better testing to discover bad spots -- not letting the same devs who do the game all day decide whats 'too hard' An optional Slo-Mo mode that at least gives the player more time to work a clumsy interface, time to think etc.... This game was too fast in normal mode and often getting my fingers to different places on the keyboaed caused difficulty even when I understood what the button sequences were. The main game flow was pretty easy but the difficulty came when exact things had to be done. Bothering to port the cheats to the PC version of the game (unfortunately management decisions to do this as cheaply as possible seems to be the rule in the industry) --- maybe planning it from the start (but that too increases costs significantly). Cheats can become a crutch in games (for the game companies to put out games with major problems) , but getting a player past a defect is preferable to the player giving up and the game just ending at the bad spot. Alternate solutions (ie- when I tried fighting off the unkillable opponent instead of endlessly trying to get the special maneuver/circumstance to do whatever the game script called for (and getting whacked pretty fast) - I found that I could probably have lasted almost indefinately -- if they had even given the opponent 10X the HP of the normal adversaries I could likely had done it with only a few repeats) .

Funny to see that this game frustrated you so much. What did you expect from a value game made from a movie with en average cote of 56%? Plus it's a cheap port from console. Unfortunately, more than half of PC games nowadays are like this, you just have to buy the good ones and stop encouraging the development of crappy money-making games based on a known brand.

Just don't buy games based on popular movies.

I avoid them on principle (I know there are 1 or 2 gems, but there's a flood of garbage to wade through).

Thats what you get for buying a game based on a movie!

sorry... I shouldnt say that, don't flame me, please.

But really... A movie gets made, it makes millions, so they make all kinds of shit to get the addicts for said movie buying more. they milk it and milk it. Part of the problem is this is a fad based thing where they game makers have to strike while the iron is hot, or movie in this case. If they take the time to make a GOOD game, the movie might not be so popular anymore. So they hack together a piece of crap that follows the script of the movie, uses lots of voice overs pulled from the movie and clips of the movie reducing production time and costs while tying it more closely to the movie and throw it out on the shelves within a week of the movie being out. Even if they didn't cut a lot of corners, making it, its still unoriginal tripe made with the sole intent on cashing in on a fad with no concern whatsoever but to get copies sold to the movies fans.

So really...

Were you expecting Prince of Persia here?

You obviously never played Thexder. :)

No saves, no extra lives, no map, no cheat codes. It took me 3 years to beat this game, and I only pulled it off once. It took me 6 hours of solid playing. I suppose it's not as hard as it sounds -- it did have a pause feature hehe. I don't know how many times I made it 4-5 hours into the game only to take one single misstep and end up back right at the beginning.

I invented new swear words because the usual ones became so overused!

Anyway... I feel your pain.

Quote:
Original post by Dunge
Funny to see that this game frustrated you so much. What did you expect from a value game made from a movie with en average cote of 56%? Plus it's a cheap port from console. Unfortunately, more than half of PC games nowadays are like this, you just have to buy the good ones and stop encouraging the development of crappy money-making games based on a known brand.

It actually could have been an amusing game (even if I only played thru it once).

Im glad I didnt pay alot for it, but disgusted that even that amount turned out to be a waste.

Quote:
Original post by JasRonq
Thats what you get for buying a game based on a movie!

sorry... I shouldnt say that, don't flame me, please.

But really... A movie gets made, it makes millions, so they make all kinds of shit to get the addicts for said movie buying more. they milk it and milk it. Part of the problem is this is a fad based thing where they game makers have to strike while the iron is hot, or movie in this case. If they take the time to make a GOOD game, the movie might not be so popular anymore. So they hack together a piece of crap that follows the script of the movie, uses lots of voice overs pulled from the movie and clips of the movie reducing production time and costs while tying it more closely to the movie and throw it out on the shelves within a week of the movie being out. Even if they didn't cut a lot of corners, making it, its still unoriginal tripe made with the sole intent on cashing in on a fad with no concern whatsoever but to get copies sold to the movies fans.

So really...

Were you expecting Prince of Persia here?

It could have worked (game being made from a popular subject is common -- and first movie out 3 years ago isnt too short a time -- its like 3rd in a series the previous ones I didnt do -- but should have been time to work out some shortcomings).

Probably just optomism to expect better.

Thexder! Wow! That brings back some fond memories... of hair pulling :D It sure was a fun enough game, but as you mentioned, incredibly difficult to advance.

excuse me, but games made based on movies generally suck. They're often forced into an all too short development cycle, since putting out a game based on a movie a year after the movie has come out isn't really that great. The artistic assets tend to seem really poor in comparison to polished games, and similar shortcuts are taken in all other areas of development. The only decent movie franchise games I've played havn't been following the storyline of the movies, but building something completely new on the franchise.

in short, movie based games suck. Get used to it, and stop whining, or stop buying.

Quote:
Original post by firemonk3y
in short, movie based games suck. Get used to it, and stop whining, or stop buying.
You're painting with a broad brush. Movie based games suck about as much as any other genre. Some are good, some aren't.

From Russia With Love is pretty good, and suffers from none of the stuff you mention. They even got all the remaining cast, including Connery to reprise their roles and stand in for the models and textures.

I've played a handful of great movie / tv licensed games. The problem is that the people who make the decisions for these things often don't know anything about it, and don't know who is most likely to put in all the work and make the best representation of their IP in video game form.

Golden Eye - that was an awesome game. Though it might not appear too much so nowadays.

But in general, yes most movie games does suck. And Game Movies too... sad sad sad.... its not that its the end of its potential, its just that hollywood is only willing to dish out so much, and get whatever they want. Don't encourage it and you're good to go. Hopefully they'll dish out more money for a quality made game ... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hah, Golden Eye and Thexder, hadn't thought of those in years.

But yeah, games based on movies? Meh. I bought superman returns the game because it was cheap; the market appears to be flooded with them. Every store seems to have dozens of them in bargain bins. It has some interesting features, but overall it's a horrid game that doesn't relate to the movie in any way. Last time I'm doing that :) .

Games with the following drive me to frustration.

1) Long multistage missions with no save points. Screw up on stage and you're back to square one.

2) Poor controls. The RC minigames in the GTA franchise drive me insane. Maybe they're easier to manage with a console controller, but with a keyboard and mouse they were a royal pain. At the very least they shouldn't be necessary to advance the story.

3) Inability to skip cut scenes. I've only ever seen this in Freelancer, but it's the one thing that keeps me from replaying it. What on earth were they thinking?