Sign in to follow this  
LJ_1102

Problem with terrain primitivetype

LJ_1102    1233
I'm actually on a terrain class in C# and xna that generates a terrain out of a highmap. I was wondering about the framerate i got, a 32x32 Terrain slows my machine fully down...(about 15 fps on C2D@3.6 - GF8800GTS - 2GBRAM o_O) I think its because I'm rendering it as a "TriangleList", what do i have to do to get the indexbuffer up for TriangleStripe ? When I change it i get only bout the half of the terrain the other half is wrong mapped. I was thinking about clustering it (for later lod experiments) but i have to understand the indexbuffer first ^^ hope you can help LJ_1102

FoxHunter2    157
If a 32x32 terrain slows this machine down, then the problem is definitely not the triangle list, but something else in your code. I'm using triangle lists for my terrain and I can render much larger terrains than 32x32 at great frame rates even without using LOD (with LOD it's perfect, of course)

neonic    367
Are you drawing it in immediate mode every frame? Like

GlBegin();
GlVertex3f(blah);
GlEnd();

?

If you are, try, at the very least, making the whole terrain a single Display list and then call the load display list function once a frame. An even better solution would be to use a vertex buffer object.

LJ_1102    1233
Omg I'm sorry i was rendering it already as a vertexbuffer but i rendered it as often as the vertexbuffer.Lenght was... thx 4 the tips and the 1object shizzle =)

LJ_1102