Any disadvantage

Started by
6 comments, last by Cherub of Death 16 years, 1 month ago
So I was learning c++, and slightly got that even though I have programmed at all before besides small things for a game, though that was with tutorials. Anyway I tried c# since I have heard it is cleaner and everything. Though I have found it a bit easier to learn about c++. Is there any disadvantage to moving back to c++? Will I not be able to do the same things as effective? C++ can be used on all os's but thats all I know is better.
Advertisement
Quote:
C++ can be used on all os's

No, C++ can be used on all OS's for which a compiler and runtime are available. Likewise with C#. What you are thinking of is that C++ has a wider range of platforms available already, owing largely to its age relative to C#.

Quote:
Anyway I tried c# since I have heard it is cleaner and everything. Though I have found it a bit easier to learn about c++. Is there any disadvantage to moving back to c++? Will I not be able to do the same things as effective?

Languages are tools; like tools, they have advantages and disadvantages. But most of those are relative to the task at hand, rather than absolutes. Yes, there are disadvantags to switching back to C++. There are advantages, as well. It all depends on what you're doing.

Since all I know is that you're learning, my recommendation will be to stick with whichever language you like better and find most comfortable to work with. I would generally recommend against C++ for a beginner, but it's more important to pick a language and keep doing stuff with it than to pick the "correct" language and waffle around trying to decide which is "correct."
Thought C# only worked with windows. Anyway I am just learning lol, nothing specific. Right now I would like to make some small programs then possibly go to small games.
So Ill just play around instead of trying to decide what is the correct language and stick with the one I like lol.
C# is (typically) compiled to CIL, a bytecode that is JIT (just-in-time) compiled as it executes (this is different than being interpreted, although it's possible to interpret CIL just as well, it's typically avoided in production systems like the .NET framework because it is much slower).

This process requires a compiler and a runtime environment. The .NET framework and Visual Studio provide this on Windows. Mono and other projects provide this for other platforms, including *nix platforms.

Quote:
So Ill just play around instead of trying to decide what is the correct language and stick with the one I like lol.

Good to hear.
Quote:Original post by Cherub of Death
Thought C# only worked with windows. Anyway I am just learning lol, nothing specific. Right now I would like to make some small programs then possibly go to small games.
You can use C# on other platforms (e.g. Linux, OS X) via Mono. For a cross-platform IDE, take a look at MonoDevelop.

Bindings for a number of 3rd-party libraries are also available, via Tao. I'm currently trying to get Tao working in OS X myself (and might very well be posting a question on that topic in the near future :).
You know it doesnt matter to me if it only runs on windows I was just saying lol. Anyways, so I am off to try some c++, any one have recommendations of sites besides this ones or something to try?
Google for "C++: A Dialog" and "Thinking in C++," they're free online books that are pretty decent.
That was quick lol. Thanks for those books I am sure they will be a big help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement