Beginner needing help

Started by
13 comments, last by kiwibonga 16 years ago
Hello GameDev, I have just recently registered on your forum as I heard this is highly recommended forum for beginners as well as professionals. I'm a 17 year old who currently attends Sixth Form in the UK (currently doing my A levels). One year later I'm hoping to apply for a Bachelor Science Computer Games Development Degree (3 year course) in a University. In preparation to that I would like to start building simple games then progressing further as I build up my knowledge. I currently have MS Visual Basic 2005 and XNA Game Studio 2.0. I have no programming knowledge so I would like a lot of assistance to help me program my very first yet simple game. I hope to hear from you very soon Many Thanks GT08
Advertisement
University will throw you into the deep end pretty quickly so you'll probably want to start learning the basics of programming as soon as possible, something like C# or Java is a good starting point :)
Thank you for your reply Mounty0.

I realised University will throw me into the deep end so I would like experienced users on this forum to guide me through the basics of C# or C++.

Preferably C++ would be a lot more beneficial for me to learn for games development at University?

What do you recommend and can someone guide me through please.
C++ is currently the most used language in games but it isn't a language that most would expect a beginner to learn due to it's complexity. During University, I suspect they will teach you the programming basics with a higher level language like C#, Pascal or Java.

Personally I would stick with using C# and write some basic text games like 'Guess the number', 'Hangman', or even a text based adventure game and move on to XNA at a later date when you are more comfortable and confident with the language.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by GT08
Hello GameDev,

I have just recently registered on your forum as I heard this is highly recommended forum for beginners as well as professionals.

I'm a 17 year old who currently attends Sixth Form in the UK (currently doing my A levels).

One year later I'm hoping to apply for a Bachelor Science Computer Games Development Degree (3 year course) in a University.

In preparation to that I would like to start building simple games then progressing further as I build up my knowledge.

I currently have MS Visual Basic 2005 and XNA Game Studio 2.0.

I have no programming knowledge so I would like a lot of assistance to help me program my very first yet simple game.

I hope to hear from you very soon

Many Thanks

GT08

is there a uni in London that does this now?.... i had to travel to bolton to do the same course

i would heavily recommended getting visual c++ express from the Microsoft site, as i suspect your course will heavily involve c++.

it would be VERY beneficial to have a good grasp of the basics maybe more before you start

http://stowelly.co.uk/
Quote:Original post by Stowelly
i would heavily recommended getting visual c++ express from the Microsoft site, as i suspect your course will heavily involve c++.

Agreed. Take a look at the course descriptions for all the Universities you're applying for, if the majority are teaching C++ then start learning C++.

I'm at University of Salford, and they do C++, but after a recent deal with Microsoft a whole load of 360's have just been installed and I think C# and XNA is on the cards for next year's new recruits.

It might be worth looking into a graphics API too. See if your University will teach OpenGL or DirectX, and get stuck in.

EDIT; And kudos for looking into this early on. A lot of the people on my course are really struggling with even the basics. I'm glad I started learning C++ through college before starting Uni, it's helped me so much.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by deadstar
I'm at University of Salford, and they do C++, but after a recent deal with Microsoft a whole load of 360's have just been installed and I think C# and XNA is on the cards for next year's new recruits.

It might be worth looking into a graphics API too. See if your University will teach OpenGL or DirectX, and get stuck in.

EDIT; And kudos for looking into this early on. A lot of the people on my course are really struggling with even the basics. I'm glad I started learning C++ through college before starting Uni, it's helped me so much.

Actually come to think of it my university is doing the same (must be to do with why we all got the free pro visual studio with that silverlight thing). but pretty sure the majority of the course is going to be c++ still and just use XNA for a couple of specifics about console development etc.

and yes people on my course where the same, still struggling with very basic code in the second year..... it is very unrealistic to expect to get good at programming within 3 years, whilst doing uni as well your own and definitly agree its good to start now
Dude, I agree with mounty0. You may want to start with Java or something simalar and then move onto CPP when you have grasped it and are comfortable with the concepts. I studied java at uni for three years before moving onto CPP and it was much easier. The transition is so much simpler if you start with an "easier" (I say "easier" with a lot of caution as Java is not very easy but relatively easier compared to CPP) language. I'm still learnig CPP but I'll say that it would've been way harder if I had not started with Java.
Thank you for all your replies.

I believe Bolton is currently the best University in the United Kingdom for Games Development.

Is there a link or a site on where I can learn how to start making hangman or text based adventure games?

I would really like to get a grasp of basic programming.

Many Thanks

GT08

P.S Sorry I couldn't reply all this time, I still have a terrible cold and sore throat.
Quote:Original post by GT08
Thank you for all your replies.

I believe Bolton is currently the best University in the United Kingdom for Games Development.

Is there a link or a site on where I can learn how to start making hangman or text based adventure games?

I would really like to get a grasp of basic programming.

Many Thanks

GT08

P.S Sorry I couldn't reply all this time, I still have a terrible cold and sore throat.

if you are looking to make a text based game, you probably dont need a specific tutorial or anything like that. a lot of c++ tutorials for beginners start with command prompt / console based applications to go through the basics, from a combination of the logical methods it teaches you I think you should find it fairly easy to get some basic game play together from it.

I'm just about to finish at Bolton this year, so if you have any questions about the course ill do my best to answer them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement