Sign in to follow this  
Ozymandias43

How does Smash Bros networking work?

One of the games I've always thought that would be hardest to network properly is a fighter. The split second reaction times should (theoretically) make any lag extremely noticeable. Smash Bros Brawl, though, doesn't seem to have any issues with this that I've yet noticed. The gameplay feels smooth. The only lag I notice is an occasional halt in gameplay for a second or so every so often. Could someone speculate on what techniques they're using?

Haven't played the game myself, however from watching the videos on youtube, it doesn't seem to be that fast for a fighter. The moves on average seem to take alot of time to hit and that leaves plenty of time to synchonrize with the host/peers. These days you have connections with 50-100 ms latency, which with the proper interpolation techniques, is more than aqdequate for a fighter such as this.

Proably all their moves are time based obejcts (canned animations, or simple scripted logic ie particle attacks ) which have predetermined beahvior and can accept time variables and some inital state, after which once u start them up with the proper time correction, will play the same on all the peers. This keeps it simple and encapsualtes both visual and logical fx syncronizaiton.

Attacks could be come desyncronized but it won't affect such a chaotic game such as this. There probaly are some chained attacks which might require more complex lock step interactions with the authortive peer. All damage proably is only done on the authoritive peer as well.

Fighters like street fighter and virtual fighter have tighter time constraints. There is an online version of street fighter, but from people who have played it, it seems they have made gameplay concessions for the lag, again I haven't played them myself, but it would make sense. Ive looked at thier sprite maps ( on some fan sites ) and if the game runs at 30 or 60 fps presumably, some of those moves hit in 1-2 frames which translates to the edge of interactive rates for standard latency stated above, with best case scenerio lag.

-ddn

I totally disagree and I have brawl and have played it online. Brawl is slower than melee, but melee was one of the fastest fighters i have played, and i played em all.

The network play is totally inadequate, at least from my house where i play it.
In fact Fox's shine in melee was only one frame if you L-canceled it, this really cannot be networked well.

I'd love to chime in about this. Unfortunately, I've tried Smash Bros Brawl online at 4 different places and at each one it either did not work, or there was so much lag it isn't even worth playing. It just might be the region that I'm in thats having problems.

By the way, I've opened all ports on the router, DMZ host to the Wii only, direct line to the cable modem. All the same result, either no multiplayer or too laggy.

I love that game, but not it's online functionality.