Eve Online - A Case Study in Innovative MMORPG Design

Started by
22 comments, last by PinWang 16 years ago
Quote:Original post by PinWang
Also its really interesting to note that a lot of "veteran" gamers play EVE. I've argued before that there is a rising number of older, more mature players who have seen a lot of what game designers have to offer. This growing player base is, in my opinion, a largely untapped market of gamers who demand games such as EVE which are essentially more challenging and definitely "different" from all the games they played before.

I would definitely agree with this. I think one of the many reasons, ignoring the others for the time being, that WoW has gotten such high numbers is that there are more younger high-school aged kids playing than there were a few years ago. I don't have numbers to back this, but I think there are more younger players now than there used to be. The penetration of the PC and high-speed internet into more middle-class homes plays a part in this.

What this means is that is that these older "veteran", or interstitial, players are growing weary of the shallow gameplay offered in a game made to have WIDE appeal. This is why they are leaving WoW for Eve. Unfortunately, because these companies are tight-lipped in regards to their subscriber demographics, this is pure speculation on my part.
Quote:Original post by PinWang
I think increasingly, designers will have to compete with other designers to think up more complex and interesting designs in order to compete for this player base, which will continue to have higher and higher demands. This is a very debatable statement that I'm making here and it's kind of unrelated, so its definitely something to save for another thread. Good to think about though.

I agree with this, although I do not think it needs to be complex. There is an invisible line out there that marks the limit of when complexity loses its appeal. I think most games could stand a little more complexity and depth, but only to a point.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)Project Manager - Project Wishhttp://www.projectwish.comMy Blog
Advertisement
These sites have a lot of interesting information about suscribers, growth rates,...

http://www.mmogchart.com/
http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_demographics.html

Regards
Quote:Original post by Vicente
These sites have a lot of interesting information about suscribers, growth rates,...

http://www.mmogchart.com/
http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_demographics.html

Regards

I was aware of these, sorry for not stating that I was after current info. I believe they are outdated, and I think we are after more current information in this discussion. The subscriptions numbers are relatively up-to-date, but there are no demographics with those, and I think Nick's are old numbers, unless I am mistaken.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)Project Manager - Project Wishhttp://www.projectwish.comMy Blog
Vincente, in terms of the way you describe movement and space in EVE these two are definitely important issues with the game right now. I whole-heartedly agree as an EVE player that conflicts too often take place on a GATE or a STATION, where very the mechanics of these movement-mechanics were never meant to really provide for "better" PvP but most of the time get in the way. In this sense, it is more important control these specific locations than space itself: gates, stations, etc. are more important to be controlled than the actual space itself. This definitely limits how good of a game can be.

Another argument I've made in the past in relation to this is the "over-expansiveness" of many MMORPG universes. EVE definitely suffers from overexpanded space. The point is you want to spread out your player base enough so that locations are not too crowded(such as the central trade-hub Jita), and also are given enough meaning to players so they are not too sparse (such as large swaths of 'no-sec' space).

In terms of the harshness of the death penalty, I tend to agree more with KulSeran. Even though I agree with the problems you mention, I think they are less a symptom of a harsh death penalty and more the symptom of the spatial/movement problems you mentioned. Definitely, I agree that there a whole lot to be improved with EVE's PvP system. And indeed, my trip to 0.0 showed me that blobs and gate-camping is not that fun. However, there are ways for players to get challenges for themselves and have more meaningful PvP. I, for instance, formed a solo corp and declare war on corporations and try to fight them all myself. It's all about how you creatively approach the game, and this kind of creative player approach is much more possible in EVE than in other games.

And please enlighten us on what AoC is :)

I've also seen Nick Yee's work before and its quite interesting, I think I even had a conversation with him once when I was still really into indie game dev. Is there anything recent in these kinds of studies? I know there is a lot of research being done on EVE, I will try to find some but if you guys find any please link it here.

Cheers,
-Pin
Jerky, both sites seem to be active right now and quite updated (last update of MMORPGCharts was this month and last update of The Daedalus Project was last month).

PinWang I do agree that you can use creative approaches in Eve to find interesting/challenging things to do and that Eve gameplay is much more open ended than probably any other MMORPG out there. But that kind of creative approach is quite limited in a 0.0 alliance as the game mechanics force you to blob/camp/siege/spam pos quite a lot. Not because it's fun, but because it's the most effective thing to do while living there. But it's true that there are great initiatives that make Eve much more fun, like the new "Red" and "Blue" alliances that were formed for free PvP without cover politics and other projects for newbies like Eve University.

Btw, there are also studies about Eve economics from the economicist guy CCP hired some time ago. This is one of his studies for example:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=498

They are pretty interesting to read :)

About AoC (Age of Conan), I haven't been able to join the beta, but all the information and videos released from the game sound really nice. The end game is about cities built by players who produce resources for crafting etc etc. Combat seems pretty dynamic (very action oriented, probably a matter of what you like the most),...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Conan:_Hyborian_Adventures

The Combact section mentions several nice things about AoC. Let's see if it can live to the expectations when it's released (in less than 2 months I think).

Regards
Quote:Original post by Vicente
Jerky, both sites seem to be active right now and quite updated (last update of MMORPGCharts was this month and last update of The Daedalus Project was last month).

The current demographics of the numbers found on MMORPGchart.com would be what I am interested in. According to this page Nick does not have any current numbers. There are only two things gathered in the last 1.5 years, and neither cover what I mentioned in my post. The page is active, yes, but Nick doesn't continually chart things like the MMORPGchart.com does, so the numbers are stale (for my purposes).
Ah, blessed EVE, my precious ...

I just canceled me EVE account due to the game's bad design. I was looking for a space based game and there are only two barely decent ones available. EVE was one of them.

After playing it for awhile, it became apparent that they did not think about the basic technology design at all. For instance, on the client side, the network handling and graphics rendering is in the same game loop. This is a basic no-no when designing games. Network should be in it's own thread at a minimum. And the graphics rendering/fps should never be locked.

You can see evidence of this when you go through a jumpgate. The stuttering of regular flying and playing shows this as well. This makes the game almost unbearable. Top that off with releasing a graphics pack that was unplayable with most of their customers.... ouch!

I think there are still growing pains, but they are, unfortunately, following Blizzard's footsteps where money is higher priority then customers. :(
Quote:Original post by Reddox
Ah, blessed EVE, my precious ...

I just canceled me EVE account due to the game's bad design. I was looking for a space based game and there are only two barely decent ones available. EVE was one of them.

After playing it for awhile, it became apparent that they did not think about the basic technology design at all. For instance, on the client side, the network handling and graphics rendering is in the same game loop. This is a basic no-no when designing games. Network should be in it's own thread at a minimum. And the graphics rendering/fps should never be locked.

You can see evidence of this when you go through a jumpgate. The stuttering of regular flying and playing shows this as well. This makes the game almost unbearable. Top that off with releasing a graphics pack that was unplayable with most of their customers.... ouch!

I think there are still growing pains, but they are, unfortunately, following Blizzard's footsteps where money is higher priority then customers. :(

Like i bolded in my original post, this is not a post about your personal preferences it's a post about MMROPG DESIGN concepts!!
Ack!! My apologies. Although most of my post is about EVE's bad game design. So I guess my post took on an anti-design feel to it :)

Okay, economy time. I have finally read enough to feel that I know a little more about what makes their economy tick. This page was very helpful in giving a brief overview, for anyone who is lacking in Eve knowledge, as I am/was.

My first question was whether or not they had an open or closed economy. Apparently, they, like UO did before them, attempted a closed economy before finally changing it to an open economy. According to the devs, it wasn't because they couldn't pull it off, but rather, it was because it took too many of their resources. They also said that they, with their current system, are getting all the benefits of a closed system. I suppose this would imply that they have been able to control hyperinflation as much as a closed economy would.

Now, it is our job to find out why this is the case, so we can learn from it. From what I gathered, NPC's provide a very small amount to the economy, and the rest is player driven. I think behind the scenes, the devs are monitoring the supply and demand metrics, and make adjustments as to where the rich spots for the resources are found. Without question, based on some of the graphs I saw on the developer blogs, they have tools to monitor their economy that may have no match currently with any other MMORPG. I come to this conclusion merely by the fact that no other MMORPG economy is as consistently strong as Eve's. If other teams have tools just as good, then they must not be as smart ;). We'll assume that they are all smart, and that Eve's tools are just more deep, and therefore, superior.

So would a player-based economy always be better? Not necessarily, in my opinion. I think it works in Eve's case because, like PinWang pointed out, they are focused on PvP. There are many other smaller aspects, like the corporations, that help play a part, but because of the competitive nature of PvP, players seem a little less likely to hoard goods, as opposed to a fantasy game. That doesn't mean hoarding doesn't exist, I just don't think it is as widespread as it is in other games.

Thoughts? What else are we missing?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement