Sign in to follow this  
JediTim

Physics Help

Hi, I have been working on a simple 2D box physics engine to learn about how they work (meaning I don't want the solution of getting a physics engine someone else made). I have gotten a working collision engine up and it moves the objects away from each other, but I cant get the rotational calculations to work. I have looked at several "tutorials" but all of them are extremely confusing and unhelpful about this. Could someone tell me the theory of how I should make the objects rotate when they hit? Also, help on the related subject of making them have friction on each other would be appreciated. This seems like a relatively simple subject and its annoying that its so hard to get clear explanations of it. P.S. I'm not going for really super-accurate simulation here, just the general idea of how this is supposed to work. [ You had a little bit of schmutz in your topic. Don't worry, I wiped it off. --Sneftel ] [Edited by - Sneftel on March 25, 2008 2:06:44 PM]

Rotational motion is harder than translational motion, even in 2D. What tutorials did you look at?

Erin Catto has his Box2D engine (see link in sticky thread for physics engines in this forum), which is a good experimental engine. Also, the tutorial series at Essential Math is very, very good. About as straightforward and well-presented as they get. Highly recommended.

Thanks, those articles look like they will help me! :)

To answer your question, I've looked a lots of tutorials that I don't have anymore, but an example of what I was running into was Chris Hecker's tutorials (at http://chrishecker.com/Rigid_Body_Dynamics) and it seemed very confusing to me.