Sign in to follow this  
signal_

Build error involving C++ vector [Please Assist]

Hi, I am having a build error. Hopefully someone can help. The following is the error statement:
Quote:
C:\Dev-Cpp\projects_D\Mini_World_03_24_08_01_ALPHA\Makefile.win [Build Error] [room.o] Error 1
IDE: Dev - C ++ Language: C ++ I know, I know, use Microsoft or whatever, but not Dev-C++. Currently, I am switching to Microsoft, but please let me know if this is a Dev-C++ problem (compiling & linking) or is this a problem with my code. See code below. I create a struct called 'roomObj'. It contains some data for my game objects. I then create a 2D vector of roomObj called 'roomBox'. This vector has one dimension [XWorld] & the other dimension [YWorld], which are x and y dimensions of the world, respectively.
struct roomObj  {
               int xPos;
               int yPos;
               int lifeformIndex;
               int lifeform; 
               bool aliveObj;             
        };

std::vector<roomObj> roomBox [XWorld] [YWorld];

The above code compiles fine for the case of XWorld = 300 and YWorld = 100. But, if I want to increase the size of the world ... let's say << XWorld = 1000 and YWorld = 300>> ... I get the error quoted above. If I leave XWorld = 300 and YWorld = 100 and use the following code:
struct roomObj  {
               int xPos;
               int yPos;
               int lifeformIndex;
               int lifeform; 
               bool aliveObj;             
        };

std::vector<roomObj> roomBox [XWorld] [YWorld];
std::vector<roomObj> roomBox2 [XWorld] [YWorld];
std::vector<roomObj> roomBox3 [XWorld] [YWorld]; 

I also receive the quoted error message shown above. What gives? Is this a compiler/linker problem with Dev-C++? Or will this problem persist when I transition to Microsoft C++? I am planning to transfer to Microsoft C++ later today, but I am hoping that someone can lend some insight. It would be a disaster if I can only use XWorld = 300 and YWorld = 100, because I will be limited to small worlds. So that leaves two possible sources of the problem: 1. My code 2. Dev - C ++ So, experts, please help. What say you? Thanks in advance.

You are not creating a 2-d vector. Instead you are declaring a 2-d array of vectors. Assuming a vector's size is 12 bytes, you are requesting 1000*300*12 bytes (more than 3 MB) of stack storage. The thing is that stack size for your program is normally smaller (around 1 or 2 MB).

A declaration of a vector of vectors (a 2-d vector) would look like this:

std::vector<std::vector<roomObj> > roomBox(xWorld, std::vector<roomObj>(yWorld));

That would create a vector containing xWorld vectors, each containing yWorld roomObj's.

It's possible that the compiler can't handle that much data. Even if it did compile, I wouldn't be surprised if you recieved some sort of stack overflow error on program startup.

sizeof(std::vector<>) is typically about 12 bytes. 1000*300*12 = ~3.5mb. Stack size on Windows is only 1mb by default, I believe. If you want such large amounts of data, you may need to use dynamic allocation.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Thanks for the quick responses. Okay, I was afraid I was using up too much memory.

Quote:

You are not creating a 2-d vector. Instead you are declaring a 2-d array of vectors.

That is of course correct. I typed it incorrectly in the OP. I would like a 2-D array of vectors though. Apparently, I will not have this luxury. So, what is a better alternative?

Here are the specifics and what I would like to accomplish:

I have an Xworld x YWorld grid, a checkerboard, if you will. I have different game pieces. For example: dog, cat, and mouse. Let's say there are x dogs, y cats, and z mice in the game world. Each of these game pieces will have a corresponding 'roomObj'. => struct roomObj {int xPos;int yPos; int lifeformIndex;int lifeform; bool aliveObj; };

I need a way to store this information. Let's say I have a 5 x 5 grid for a world and there are 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 3 mice for game pieces. Let's say there are 2 mice at (x,y) = (0,0), 1 mouse and 1 cat at (1,1), one dog at (4,1), and one dog at (4,4), for example.

How can I accomplish this? Prior to both of yr posts I thought I should push the roomObj's onto the vectors at positions (0,0), (1,1), (4,1), and (4,4), where the vector at pos. (0,0)=> 2 members, (1,1) => 2 members, etc.

Basically, I need a way to have multiple roomObj's at any given point on the game world grid.

Maybe I am making this more complicated than it need be, but I am confused. I need a solution so that I can build larger worlds.

Perhaps, someone can offer a manageable solution if one understands what I am after. Thanks again.