Sign in to follow this  

Win XP or 3k Server?

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My software engineering class requires we write our project using visual studio. I have a Mac and VMWare Fusion. My question is what would be a better OS to develop on: Win XP or W3k. Thanks

I would say whichever you can get for the least amount of money. However, since you're a student, the difference in price between versions will probably be less than $100 (not $1000 like for the retail versions).

It also depends on whether or not you plan on using portions of the Win32 API that are available only on a particular version. If you are using MSVC++ merely to get acquainted, and will be sticking to plain ISO C++ code (no Win32 API), then any version will do.

I personally use XP, and will continue to use XP for as long as absolutely possible. The only time I ever use a server version of the OS is if I need to accept more than 10 incoming network connections.

My 'borrowed' disk says W3K... Windows Server 2003.

Quote:
Original post by smc
My 'borrowed' disk says W3K... Windows Server 2003.

Win2K3. The K stands for 1000.

Quote:
Original post by yaustar
In that case, XP.

Hehehe. :)

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.