Sign in to follow this  

Best all-around win32 interface c++ library for creating interfaces (gui)

This topic is 3552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm searching for the best easy solution for creating win32 interfaces(GUI) with c++ on XP and Vista. Something that would give me about the same level of freedom as Visual Basic. I'm looking, specifically, for something that would enable me to do context menus out of the icon tray. (right of the task bar) Awaiting your recommendations, the only criteria is that it has to be opensource or free of use. Thanks alot, 7h0m.

I don't know of any C++ framework that's particularly easy to work with, at least not on the same level as working with Windows Forms (both the old VB6 version and the .NET variety). I also don't know of any that let you work with the taskbar notification area.

WTL is probably worth looking at as it's reasonably powerful as well as open source, but it's certainly not what I'd call easy to work with. I also know wxWidgets is popular, but I haven't used it so I can't comment on its quality or ease of use. Hopefully someone more knowledgable in this area can give you better advice.

> for something that would enable me to do context menus out of the icon tray.

You absolutely need nothing for such a simple task !
Done in 5 minutes with Win32 apis.

QT is probably the best you'll get imo. It has a lot of overhead though size wise in my experience. It's also commercial and only free if you go GPL.

Quote:
Original post by lonewolff
Whats wrong with the good old editor that comes in Visual Studio.net?
This is what I use for all of my windows C++ apps.
Quick and easy :)

I don't know people around me always tried to turn it down... but heck, I'll use it, infact I just made my whole interface in 1 hour with it. Just need to get it working. Thanks for your replies! I'll bump this later if i need a tip or two with my interface.

This topic is 3552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.