Looking for source control software

Started by
27 comments, last by smitty1276 16 years ago
Hello everybody, Can any of you recommend a windows-based source control product for non-mainstream languages? I looked at the following: Ionforge Evolution - Discontinued / out of business. Source Safe - Discontinued ClearCase/Quest - Too expensive for indies. CVS - ROI is extremely low. SYN - Windows clients are extremely buggy. Perforce - Windows server/client is extremely buggy. Vault - Dev log have disturbing issues with the product. Are there others I am missing? Please don't list any web-based products, only windows based :)
Advertisement
I'm sure you mean SVN, which is the one that most would probably recommend here. Then again, I use CVSNT, so that's the only one I can say is good (worked fine for me).
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
I've used CVSNT combined with TortiseCVS, with no problems. At work we use TortiseSVN and I don't have any problems with that either, I assume you're referring to some other client when you say "extremely buggy".
Ditto with MJP. CVSNT with Tortoise works great for me (no problems).
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
I use SVN with TortoiseSVN at home and as remote back-up through my webhosting provider. At my previous job we switched the back-end of our build system from SourceSafe to SVN with no problems, and it was a huge performance boost, particularly over the VPN back to the head office in Boston (From Seattle -- we're talking 2 hours for a complete check-out with SourceSafe down to 8 minutes using SVN)

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Hmm, thanks for the replies :) It's that TortiseSVN one that is extremely buggy. It keeps crashing explorer, not pretty at all :) I guess that turned my off of SYN.

We used to have CVS at my day job, and slowly moving over to ClearCase/Quest. I find that it's a difference between night and day not only in features, but in price :(

You can get Evolution for $50 by being a member here. However, IonForge is out of business, and the product is discontinued w/ no support, etc. So that one is off my list

Any other ones, guys?
Not sure how "non-mainstream languages" relates to source control, but we use SVN pretty extensively in work (having switched from SourceSafe), and I've used it a bit for personal projects also.

We use the TortiseSVN client in Windows (it's a shell extension, very straightforward, good to use). Can't say we've ever had any bug-related problems with it. I believe there are also clients for Visual Studio integration available, never used any myself though, don't know what level they're at. TortiseSVN has proven more than sufficient.
Mercurial.
Perforce is the way to go. I’ve used Source Save, CVS, SVN, ClearCase and some others that I don’t recall the name of at the moment and Perforce is hands down the best solution out there today.

No idea where you got the idea that it’s buggy, particularly "extremely" buggy. That’s about as far from the truth as you can get.

My experience with it over the past 8+ years is that it’s "extremely" stable. Probably more stable than the OS it’s running on.

Not sure what the language has to do with the SCM but p4 should do the job.
Quote:Original post by Reddox
Hmm, thanks for the replies :) It's that TortiseSVN one that is extremely buggy. It keeps crashing explorer, not pretty at all :)

Are you on Vista by chance? I've been wary to install TortoiseSVN on Vista because of this reason.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement