• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
airikita

2D Games and C++

This topic is 3761 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I already have C++ Express 2008, and I tried setting up the files to get the graphics working, but it's not working. I was wondering if anyone has links to guides that can get this started, and guides for creating a 2D game. I was attempting 3D which the set-up is alright, but the guide I'm using is useless for C++ Express 2008, because not everything on the C++ Express 2008 doesn't match with what the guide is telling me to do..

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Sirisian
you have to be more specific. Did you wish to use DirectX or OpenGL?

I was using OpenGL, but for 2D games, what would you recommend?

I would personally recommend either SDL or Allegro. Both libraries provide plenty of documentation, and offer easy alternatives to DirectX and OpenGL if you're aiming for 2D.

Ok, so I downloaded Allegro then, any decent guides on that and any C++ programming guides directed towards game programming?

Mostly the guides are for Dev-C++, I'm using Visual C++ Express 2008, not Dev-C++.. Is there no guides to install anything on C++ Express 2008 or what?

[Edited by - airikita on March 30, 2008 6:32:49 PM]

Well you are suppose to use the guides to get an understanding of what you are doing so you can use them in your own game or w.e you are trying to make, so you should just learn from the guide and then use it in visual studio, it shouldnt matter what the tutorial is using as long as you understand what it is saying and doing you should easily be able to relate it to visual studio...

Allegro is a good 2D graphics engine to start with, however it is software-based rendering. If you want to know a good hardware-accelerated engine, I recommend using HGE. The thing that got me excited about it, is that it could draw 150,000 sprites at 60 fps! Something Allegro couldn't do (from my experience) :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!