• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game Audio Programming

This topic is 3676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I bought this book "Game Audio Programming" by James Boer at the Game Developers Conference in SF. The code on the CD is VC++ 6.0. I have VS 2005 which uses VC++ 8.0. The author uses Win2K. I use XP Pro. The book says it uses DXSDK 9. I use DXSDK 9 Feb 07. I linked the /lib and the /include for the DXSDK and the ones from the CD. I opened the .dsw file, convert when asked by 2005, build all ... Compiling... StdAfx.cpp WINVER not defined. Defaulting to 0x0502 (Windows Server 2003) I guess it didn't like something in the stdafx file ... #if !defined(AFX_STDAFX_H__45C5C5FA_943E_47E4_9481_7E63589C64C1__INCLUDED_) #define AFX_STDAFX_H__45C5C5FA_943E_47E4_9481_7E63589C64C1__INCLUDED_ #if _MSC_VER > 1000 #pragma once #endif // _MSC_VER > 1000 #define VC_EXTRALEAN // Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers #include <afxwin.h> // MFC core and standard components #include <afxext.h> // MFC extensions #include <afxdtctl.h> // MFC support for Internet Explorer 4 Common Controls #ifndef _AFX_NO_AFXCMN_SUPPORT #include <afxcmn.h> // MFC support for Windows Common Controls #endif // _AFX_NO_AFXCMN_SUPPORT //{{AFX_INSERT_LOCATION}} // Microsoft Visual C++ will insert additional declarations immediately before the previous line. #endif // !defined(AFX_STDAFX_H__45C5C5FA_943E_47E4_9481_7E63589C64C1__INCLUDED_) Question: Should I add '#define WINVER 0x0502' to the code or add ';WINVER=0x0502' as a Project->Properties->C++->Preproccessor - Preproccesor Definition? ... moving forward ... Then it started spitting out "Cannot open include file:D3DX8MATH.H" errors. A reference to an #include <D3DX8MATH.H> in the common.h file that's in the /include from the CD. I can change it to DX9.H but it spits out twice as many errors. Question: What's the best way to deal with these D3DX8MATH.H errors? Thanks you all very much in advance .. you are the best programmers in the world.

Advertisement
Quote:

WINVER not defined. Defaulting to 0x0502 (Windows Server 2003)

This just a warning, so I wouldn't worry about it; I've never had any problems with it.

D3DX8* is DirectX 8.0 specific headers. You'll need to download the DirectX 8.0 sdk. It is hard to find, because Microsoft doesn't host it anymore. You can search the forums, however. I know someone somewhere on these forums posted a link to the dx8 install.

EDIT:
Found it!
Anyone have DirectX 8 SDK?

EDIT2:
Oops, I read your post wrong. :|
You could create the file manually... You may have to do this for other files it can't find, but I'm not sure if this is the only error you're going to get. It will all be in vain if you don't have the dx8 libs :)

Thanks _fastcall ..

I think my intended question was the development environment differences between the author and me.
I'd like to get the code to compile without errors and without warnings. This comes from playing Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty setting.

Shouldn't I be able to use the DX9 headers?
Shouldn't this dev env be able to function without installing a PSDK?
Is it humanly possible to port code from VC6 to VS2005?

The whole thing is abot 3000 lines of code.

Quote:
Original post by danrohan
Shouldn't I be able to use the DX9 headers?

You *can* use the D3D9 headers. You're having problems using the D3D8 headers, which are no longer included in the DX SDK. You're probably getting errors because the code you're trying to compile is using functions from the D3D8 headers.

Quote:
Shouldn't this dev env be able to function without installing a PSDK?

Your problem has nothing to do with the Windows SDK. But to answer your question, Visual C++ can compile anything that doesn't require the headers and libraries included in the Windows SDK. Direct3D requires them since it needs to work with a window, therefore you must have it.

Quote:
Is it humanly possible to port code from VC6 to VS2005?

It depends. VC6 is from the dark ages of C++ before standardization, which means that by todays standards what it compiles isn't really C++. You shouldn't have any problem converting the projects, however.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement