• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Commercial and non-commercial ?

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, What is the differnce between commercial and non-commercial. Sory I dont no what they both mean. Thank you for your help.

Advertisement
Should look them up in a dictionary ;)

Commercial would be something then allowed to be used only when bought, often you can not resell it, and if you use it (say an engine) a certain amount of money would be required to do so.

Non-Commercial normally has the idea that its free or not mainstream. A non-commercial engine would be able to be used free with no licensing attached.

Thats how i see it in a general sense.

In simpler terms:

Commercial: A game that is distributed in exchange for money (either in a store, or online).

Non-commercial: A game that is either distributed for free, or not distributed at all.

If you take in even a cent of revenue for your game then it's technically a commercial release. I'm not a lawyer though so don't hold that against me.

To make things more confusing, some people describe commercial game development as the opposite of indie game development. Here indie game development is anything that is not publisher backed, so "commercial" in this sense means backed by a publisher. It isn't a strictly accurate term in this sense though as indie games can and frequently are made to earn money.

Quote:
Original post by dashurc

If you take in even a cent of revenue for your game then it's technically a commercial release. I'm not a lawyer though so don't hold that against me.

Nope, that's non-profit.

Non-commeercial means that you take revenue, but it's not directly a goal of your product.

Let's say you develop an educational game. You host it on your school's network which covers operational costs. The game is ad-supported, which generates $100-$2000 per month. In order to maintain good relations with your hosts, you give $500 of that to school by buying supplies for computer office. The rest you keep for yourself.

This is non-commercial operation. You get money, but you'd keep going even if you didn't. While you provide something for free, you don't say no to donations. And while running everything costs money, you are given this independently of your product.

Take non-commercial open source software. It's free, but you can donate to developers, or even hire/fund them to develop a feature. Whether they do it, it's up to them.

Commercial support however means - you pay $X for support, and you get 24/7 no-nonsense on-demand support.

Commercial usually works in Quid pro quo sense. Non-commercial does not imply that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement