• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Best 3D game engine for a boxing game

This topic is 3703 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I am an experienced hobbyist and I want to make a boxing game. I want a 3D engine that will make development as fast as possible. Packages I'm Looking into: (ANY SUGGESTIONS???) * Torque Game Engine * TV3D SDK 6.5 * 3D Game Studio * C4 Engine * Unity * NeoAxis Engine * DX Studio * 3Impact * Beyond Virtual * Deep Creator Needed features: - **Extremely** easy and fast to use. - Ragdoll effects. - Budget is flexible, but obviously needs to be affordable for a hobbyist. Wanted: - Ideally, tho doubt it: something that will let me do face morphing like UT3. *The idea: You make a character of yourself, your friend/boss/politician, and you can box them.* Skills/Things I Have: - I am an experienced programmer (built enterprise code, realtime OSes.) Skills/Things I Don't Have: - 3D animation knowledge/skill. (So needs to be easy schmeezy.) - Time- I'm already overworked by the boss, and I'd rather spend time with friends and family, so, I prefer VB to C. The top so far is TV3D just cuz it's free for fun stuff and has ragdoll. Frankly, if the fastest way to do it was Dark Basic, I'd use that. I wish I had more time than this, but I don't.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by the_cyman
Time- I'm already overworked by the boss, and I'd rather spend time with friends and family, so, I prefer VB to C.

I have never even heard of a VB engine except for DarkBasic. I would suggest an engine in Cpp because most (and therefore the easiest) engines are written in that. I hear good things about Torque so that would be my pick. It is easy and cheap (from what I hear). By the way, I don't mean to discourage you, but time is one thing you WILL need to make your game.
Hope that helps,
zach297

For rapid development, I would not recommend C++. Go for a scripting language, such as Python or Lua. Some engines have bindings for multiple languages available, so could do some research to find out which ones. I've worked with Panda 3D a while ago, which offers a Python binding, and while it's not the fastest of all engines, we were able to achieve quite a few things in a relatively short timespan.

For ragdoll effects, you may need to use an external physics library, such as Newton, if you can't find a suitable engine that incorporates a (good) physics component already.

Personally, I'd recommend keeping the style simple. Graphics don't seem to be your strongest area so a cartoony or abstract style is probably your best bet.

Or you could take an existing game and build a mod for it. Many people do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!