• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Render call design queries

This topic is 3586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I just have a small query about design. When writing a 3D (or any game I suppose) game, there are constant calls to the Render method, or render framework which, in turn, calls many render methods. I have seen, in books and online articles that timing is an issue with a lot of games. A lot of sample articles mention "calculating the time passed" between render calls etc... Can someone please give me some idea as to good way to implement this kind of thing? Currently Im just calling the Render() method of my small game on the WM_PAINT etc... windows messages. How does timing and the like fit in to all this for calculations with things like physics and movement? Thanks! Mark

Advertisement
Hi,
use the best tool available:
top right corner, search for "update frequency timing" ... you'll get several good articles

Quote:
Original post by mystb
Hi,
use the best tool available:
top right corner, search for "update frequency timing" ... you'll get several good articles

Thanks for the advice, I did do a search, but thats a much better searching phrase :)

I will have a good look at the results, but if anyone feels like individually contributing, the advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement