Simple single user bug tracking system?

Started by
4 comments, last by CipherCraft 16 years ago
Hey, I have a couple of projects that I alone develop for but I want to keep track of bugs reported by users of these programs. I feel that many of the (free/open source) web-based solutions are overkill for my situation: they are either feature-bloated or have prerequisites that I have to install and don't need. I've currently fallen back onto a wiki application called 'notebook' but it's cumbersome. [sad] Should I go ahead and run with Trac/Mantis/Bugzilla and the like, or should I strive for a simple, single user, local, bug database of some kind? (Perhaps even write one myself...) What would/do you do? tia, CipherCraft
Advertisement
Thanks for all the replies. [wink]

I would have really wanted something like Bugzai but that's Mac only. So I've settled for JTrac for now: no install, no third party dependencies, and fairly easy to get up and running.

cu,
CipherCraft
...well let us know how you like JTrac.

For solo bug-tracking Excel (or whatever the OOO equivalent is) would suffice.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
A spreadsheet doesn't give me the option to record history or add remarks. Or only in a convoluted way. Plus there's only one view. I've been using issue trackers for most of my professional life so I'm rather used to that way of 'thinking' and working.

JTrac is doing just fine. Like I posted before it doesn't get in my way, overload my machine with stuff I don't need for anything else, and I get just the right amount of control I want. I'd recommend it over Excel any day. [wink]

hth,
CipherCraft
Hello CipherCraft,

I'm a little slow on responding to your original question. But if you run into problems with JTrac, then I'd suggest trying Roundup (http://roundup.sourceforge.net/). I've been using it at work for more than 6 months and I've been impressed with its "light weight" approach to issue/bug tracking - basically it provides a very minimalist interface that allowed me to quickly raise, comment and close bugs. I can't comment on the installation process, as someone else installed it.

Cheers,

Tom
Hey TomH,

Thanks for replying, late or no. [wink]

I'd still choose JTrac. Roundup 'boasts' only a 30 minute installation, JTrac doesn't need one. The template business looks a bit convoluted. JTrac hides the database back-end from me, which, in this case, I like just fine. And I don't see a work flow option for Roundup.

So all in all, I'm happily sticking with JTrac.

tu,
CipherCraft

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement