Want AI for your game?

Started by
7 comments, last by donbonifacio 16 years ago
Anyone here has made a simple game and wants to improve/add A.I to the game? We are 2 students who are looking for an AI project for college, and we are considering maybe to improve/add AI to an existing game. So let us know if you are interested. Thanks
Advertisement
If you want to write interesting AI, you need an interesting game. Anyone can write a Mastermind or Checkers solver given time and requisite knowledge, and every optimal solution will be the same.

Here's a suggestion for you, that a friend and I really enjoyed back in university; make a simple platformer in a fairly complex setting; tile based or polygonal, but to keep things simple make it just 2D, from above or the side.

Introduce the player as "prey", and an AI as "predator". Make your prey leave a scent trail or footprints, and make an AI that can effectively track your prey, even through interesting situations such as doubling-back, crossing paths, wind and water, multiple prey that must all be caught, and multiple predators who leave distinct scent trails of their own, and who balance their "avoid other predators" instinct against the "find prey to eat" instinct.

We had a lot of fun making a predator who had smell, hearing, and sight senses to track a player all over a mansion and its grounds, while the player tries to solve some simple mechanical puzzles.
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Another idea: Add AI to a game that no one thinks should have AI. I'd have a few suggestions, but I don't think they should have AI.
Quote:Original post by Splinter of Chaos
Another idea: Add AI to a game that no one thinks should have AI. I'd have a few suggestions, but I don't think they should have AI.

Like an AI toaster that insists on you having toast every few minutes... :)

A top-down 2D or side scrolling game might be good for exercises on A* and FSM IMHO. There's got to be some in the GD Showcase...
Two months ago we wrote a turn-based strategy game for our AI class, where AI clients could connect to the game and duke it out. It's heavily inspired by Advanced Wars. I've released it on my blog here. The game was written in haXe, using a Flash frontend and Neko backend. The example AI client was written in C#. Currently, we haven't released any of the documentation or source-code, but if you two are interested, I could dig up some stuff. Our game isn't the most robust of all, but I think it works fairly well for a 2-month project.

One thing is sure: if you're going for the AI side, taking an existing game is a good choice. Writing a game takes some time. Our AI client was written in the last three or four weeks, if not less.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Hello, if written a Mastermind-Game and want to test it with a good ai. I mean not just one that checks the numbers, but using the most intelligent combination for win as fast as possible. I would prefere Java that it can be linked direktly with the game, but written otherway would be helpful too.
My Mastermind-like-Game has a lenght from 4 to 6. It don't use colors, but figures from 0 to 9. And there is a funktion if there are double (or more) figures or not.
Erm... and there is another funktion for entering double figures or not, but there the ai is just checking possible numbers...
Take a look at ORTS. It's meant as, among other things, a testbed for game AI, and would probably be ideal for implementing your own AI stuff as well as testing it against the existing AI systems.
What about if your game was a pacman game except you controlled the ghosts and pacman is stealing your gold? A pacman AI would be fun to write.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
If you're up for a challenge, you can check out our (board) game. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement