.NET game, which graphics API to use?

Started by
12 comments, last by daviangel 16 years ago
I've been out of the game development thing for a while. I would like to start up on a new project using C# - a 2D game, but I want to use a 3d graphics API for performance and other benefits. What should I use for graphics rendering? I'm not that impressed with XNA really, I think it takes away too much control. But everything else (e.g. OpenGL/Direct3D) seems outdated or unsupported. What are my options?
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
Probably I'd say take a look into Tao, or SlimDX if you want low level control(they should both be community supported). For 3D graphic engines I know there's Axiom, but I'm not sure of what else you can use.
You should take a look at Torque X 2.0; it's XNA based but it's pretty awesome; both myself and mittens have been impressed with it of late and frankly if you want to write a game you want something like this to do alot of the boiler plate work for you from the off.
There's also SlimDX if you want to use Direct3D...directly. As directly as is possible, at least. You'll likely be more productive with some higher level that as has already been mentioned, however.
You could always also consider using c/c++ with codeblock's and SDL :)
Quote:Original post by The-Moon

he did mention .Net explicately which generally means he'll be wanting managed code and not normal C or C++..

Quote:Original post by phantom
Quote:Original post by The-Moon

he did mention .Net explicately which generally means he'll be wanting managed code and not normal C or C++..

Alright my bad.

He did ask what are my options, he didn't say what are my options for .net :D
If you have any experience with OpenGL then Tao will take you like one minute to figure out. I used Tao to make a 2D game using 3D models and it worked out pretty nice.
--------Ratings - Serious internet buisness
Just use XNA 2.0, its great for what you are trying to do.
My concern with XNA is creating a level editor. How difficult / has anyone ever made a level editor using the XNA framework? I'd like to share as much code as possible between client,servers,and level editor and I'm concerned that XNA will make the level editor portion of this difficult. Also when I was using it some time ago there was no font support, I wonder if that has changed, have to look into it more.

Does anyone know if there's plans to add GUI / form support right into XNA maybe?
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement