• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

In game cinematic in DirectX Game

This topic is 3610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi , I have been wanting to add in-game-cinematics a.k.a cut scenes. Whats the best way to go about it ? ffmpeg or Directshow ? Would like to know pros and cons of both ? Cheers Akshay

Advertisement
Most games today use scripting to do cutscenes in-engine, which can potentially save you production time depending on how your scripting is, and it also lets your game look consistent (I'm sure we all remember the days like Resident Evil and FF where there were simple graphics and then breaks of pre-made realistic movies)

But if you're looking for a pre-rendered movie, I'd suggest ffmpeg over DirectShow as the latter is deprecated I believe.

Quote:
Original post by blakedev
Most games today use scripting to do cutscenes in-engine, which can potentially save you production time depending on how your scripting is, and it also lets your game look consistent (I'm sure we all remember the days like Resident Evil and FF where there were simple graphics and then breaks of pre-made realistic movies)

But if you're looking for a pre-rendered movie, I'd suggest ffmpeg over DirectShow as the latter is deprecated I believe.

Yeah I know...I am using Lua for scripting in Visual Studio...and am using ffmpeg to encode mpgs...I need to link lua and ffmpeg now...
But I dont know how to play a video in ffmpeg...
Any pointers ?

Cheers

you could use DirectShow instead. Are you writing in C++ or C# ?

Quote:
Original post by b3rs3rk
you could use DirectShow instead. Are you writing in C++ or C# ?

Entire DX game is written in C++...
The only reason I tried ffmpeg was that someone told me it was faster...plus installing/using that was a breeze.

I had installed Platform SDK but was unable to use Directshow as is...i tried compiling from makefiles but to no avail.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement