• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

execute cleanup code, even if programm crashes [c++]

This topic is 3676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody, how can I execute clean up code, even if my programm crashes? my logger class creates xml files, but if my application crashes, my xml file does not end properly and i have to write the endtags manually to view it right. Is there a way to shut down my logger class correct, even if my application crashes? what about a seperate thread, even if my main thread crashes, the other one could end normally right? or exception handling, but it would be somehow out of my skills at the moment to figure out that solution. that would be my solution, but i am not sure about exceptions int main() { //create logger //catch any exception //create everything else //run main loop //shutdown //if catched, shut logger down & end programm //shutdown logger }

Advertisement
Nope. Not within the program itself anyway. You could have an external process monitoring the program (which would be aware of the log file), this process could re-open the file, scan it and close any xml tags that remain. You still aren't guaranteed good output though.

XML is a bad choice for logs (IMO).

XML is really designed as a data-interchange format. Logs are fine as line based text files (easy to grep). Line based logs also neatly avoid such problems (the last line might be bad, but its not a big deal). You could always write a conversion script that parses a line based text file and outputs XML for you, if you *really* want to.

1) The cleanest way to avoid this is to write code that doesn't crash.

2) Most of your crashes will be attributed to un-caught exceptions; correctly catching and handling exceptions should alleviate most problem cases. Exception handling is part of the above point-1 in actual fact.

3) Certain crashes are unrecoverable for a single program and an external process that monitors you main program can niggle round these, although really it's a bit extreme to be doing that.

4) There are cases where both your main program and any externally monitoring process will both terminate prematurely, if someone whips your power cable out for example.

Proper exception handling suffices for most programs. If, for those rare cases not covered by exceptions, those missing XML tags are causing you grief then an additional sanity-checking proceduce could parse and correct the file when your program is next executed.

Of course, trying to intercept any mechanism that will crash your program will depend largely on what operating system your program will be running on. On Windows, at a minimum, you'd want a SEH handler in your main function and you should probably also install a signal handler to catch things like SIGABRT.

This by very definition isn't possible.

You'll need a separate application, and use remote logging.

Quote:
what about a seperate thread, even if my main thread crashes, the other one could end normally right

Threads = same application
Process = different applications

If application crashes, all threads go with it.

Quote:
or exception handling

Umbrellas work to keep you dry. But when Titanic is sinking, opening one won't help you much. Exceptions are like umbrellas. They do the job when appropriate.

Quote:
Is there a way to shut down my logger class correct, even if my application crashes?

There might actually be a compromise, but I don't know the details. You could attach some process shutdown hook on your application, that would get ran when your application process closes. That one could then scan the XML file and balance the tags.

But no, there's no clean solution.

Not even for virtual machines - in Java, an OutOfMemory error will crash the application in same way, so will a few others. Similar for C#, where you need to add unmanaged resources to the mix.

Quote:
Original post by Ben091986
that may does not fit right, but do i get performance penalities for exception handling ??

It depends. While most exception implementations do incur a small speed decrease for each function called, the code required to manually handle errors and pass them through to calling functions also has a cost. Comparing it to not handling errors at all isn't really meaningful.

Because you posted in "For Beginners", I am going to go with "enabling exceptions isn't what is going to slow your program down". Choosing the optimal algorithm for the most frequently executed game logic is the best way to be efficient in both programmer time and CPU time.

If you don't know your frequencies ahead of time, you cannot make informed decisions on where to optimise. As such, disabling exception handling for such dubious reasons as performance is not a smart move. If and only if later profiling indicates that exceptions are your bottleneck, then you could consider disabling them.

AFAIK you only take a real performance hit if an exception is thrown, which should be exceptional (hence the name [wink]) and therefore should not be a real problem.

To help you a bit, a code snippet. For more: search the net. Oh, when you're in an exception handler, remember something went very wrong before that was called. So, you cannot blindly trust memory allocations etc. to be successful.

int main() {
::SetUnhandledExceptionFilter(ExceptionHandler);
// your program
}

LONG ExceptionHandler(_EXCEPTION_POINTERS *exceptionInfo) {
if( justLetWindowsHandleTheCrash )
return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH;

g_log.Close();
// Maybe some call to MiniDumpWriteDump?
::MessageBox( "A fatal exception occurred. Goodbye" );
return EXCEPTION_EXECUTE_HANDLER;
}

To do this perfectly, create a process that handles logging.

Your program sends inter process communication messages to the logging process.

The logging process notices when your process goes away, and cleans up the log file and makes it a valid file.

(In my experience, a simple XML format can help with logging: you can have multiple views of the log file that provide more or less general or specific information about a given phase. I'm not saying that it is easy, but it can be useful!)

How about writing the end of the file early on, then using seek to insert new content into the file?

Though your program should under no circumstances be crashing in the first place.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement