• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thedigga007

OpenGL multi-stage rendering in OGL vs DX

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find the answers to in the OGL documentation... 1) Does a texture have to be bound to specific texture unit before I can change that units texture matrix? 2) Does there have to be a texture bound to the specified texture unit if you want the unit to be used in a pass? For example in DX I can set texture stage states for stages that do not have a texture associated with them. If OpenGL does allow this, do I still need to call glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D) for that tex unit? 3) How does OpenGL know how many render stages are going to be used in the rendering pipeline? In DX this is specified by setting a texture op in the first unused stage to TOP_DISABLE, disabling all texture stages after and including the one just set. Thanks. [Edited by - thedigga007 on March 31, 2008 7:45:06 PM]

Advertisement
1) no

2) if you don`t bind a texture, it is as if that texture unit is disabled. The result of that unit is RGBA={1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0}

3) It knows because you need to call glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D), glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_3D), glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_1D), glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!