• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

custom character models/skins

This topic is 3582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm currently progressing from the concept stage to the planning stage of my game creation. Like so many I'm looking to create a MMORPG/FPS, but that IS NOT based on fantasy. All ingame characters will be of human race. I've found lots of resources for creating models in external programs and importing them, and skeletal animations etc. What I haven't been able to do is find information on user defined "character skinning". Ideally I'd like to take 2 main models (male/female) and apply multiple skins/morphs to them, so they can change face and body structures of their character, along with basic things like clothes etc. Obviously this is being offered more and more in modern games. How is this accomplished? Are there current plug ins, examples, guides, etc available that dive into this further?

Advertisement
Are you going to make a game like Wurm Online with World of Warcraft like features?

What i have gathered so is the more bulkier armor parts or flimsy clothes just "glued" onto the model using "normals" to check wich distance they should be rotated to. And the textures are mostly just swapped. (Have a separate Texture file for the Head of the character)
Wich a combination of those so can you get many variations with just a few models :P.

As far as things like facial features goes, one commonly used technique is 'morph targets.'

Beyond that, when it comes to clothes and so on: all you're doing is breaking your character mesh up into parts, and then swapping out parts (e.g. 'torso') for clothing meshes instead. If you think of an item of clothing as a kind of 'replacement body part' from a mesh point of view, then it's quite straightforward.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement