Are ripped sprites illegal if used in a non-profit manner?

Started by
11 comments, last by jbadams 16 years ago
I'm making a game and to get an artist I'll no doubt have to provide at least a demo. I am planning on using ripped sprites as placeholders. Is this legal?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Evil Booger
Is this legal?

no but the worst that will happen is a cease and desist so your probably fine using them as a placeholder
Ok great, thanks.
If I were artist, I wouldn't want to work with someone with so little respect for intellectual property. Why would I trust you to respect my work, or even handle business in any reasonable way?

You have no artist - fine. Put in placeholders, or use open source art. If you could produce art yourself, you wouldn't need an artist, would you?

And besides, artists are there to provide art. You need to provide them with vision. You don't steal a Ferarri, then go to your car designer, and say design something completely different, this is just a demo.

In order to get an artist you will need primarily one thing - money. How much of it depends on many factors.

But realistically, under such circumstances, anyone with even basic experience in business will want the whole sum upfront. There's simply too many companies that rely on making business through "borrowed" art. Look at story of Paint.Net, an open source product, that was "borrowed" by a company that is selling it without mentioning its origin.

IP isn't to be taken lightly.
Call it satire, and it's suddenly fair use, no worries :p
Woah Antheus, I'm not making some huge game involving companies or anything. Its not even going to be commercial. I'm just making freeware games to try and get some experience and maybe a small portfolio. Money is not even involved at the moment.
why rip them?

you can find plenty of free sprites here.
-Please rate me if you find my replies useful.
Just use free sprites. Either that or get written consent from whoever holds the copyright on the images you're borrowing.

No point putting a bunch of work into a project that you'll have to dispose of when you get a cease and desist order (or at least no point putting in a bunch of extra work to replace all the stolen images you used).

If you never plan to distribute your game (i.e. you don't put it up for download, and don't distribute hard copies of it to the public) then use whatever you want. But if it's for a portfolio, then I'd just use images you can get permission to use. There's lots of sites that distribute free textures to use in non-commercial games.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Rawr. You're evil!!!

Quote:Original post by Evil Booger
Woah Antheus, I'm not making some huge game involving companies or anything. Its not even going to be commercial. I'm just making freeware games to try and get some experience and maybe a small portfolio. Money is not even involved at the moment.

For a simple hobby project there's probably no harm in temporarily using mario until you get some real art... If you post in the Help Wanted forum though be sure to mention that you're only temporarily violating the IP tho or you'll be sure to get more "You're evil" posts!
@dashurc:
It's not much work. All I would have to do is change the filename name in my load image function.

@everyone:
I don't know if I want to do it since you all say its illegal. Maybe I'll just draw a square and type "person" on it. I only need to show that I can program.
Thanks everyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement