• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brigs

Helicopter rotors off pivot (glRotate)

This topic is 3906 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, I've loaded a helicopter model and using glRotate(angle, 0, 1, 0) to rotate the rotor along the y axis. But for some reason it does not rotate along the pivot fully (even though I made sure the center the pivot in Maya before exporting) Here is a pic: http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5879/helipa3.jpg It rotates but does not stay centered. Any ideas why?

Advertisement
Couple thoughts I have:

1) The rotor may simply appear centered, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.

2) You may have forgotten to glPushMatrix() before your rotation and glPopMatrix() after it. Make sure you use glTranslated() (or equivilent) after you push the matrix to set the centerpoint of the pivot.

Hmm, nope everything seems right. One thing I did try is to throw off the pivot point in Maya on purpose and that did not have any effect on how it rotates in OpenGL.

Fixed problem! When exporting the object, it has to be centered in global Maya world if that makes sense, It is not enough to have the pivot centered according to local object coordinates, the object must be centered according to global Maya coordinates.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!