• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Questions About making a 2d rpg game using C++

This topic is 3671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a link to a great help site to get me started on making 2d rpg games. I'm looking to create a Final Fantasy NES type game, or a SNES type game. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. First of all is this a good idea or should I use another program? Also what compiler should I use? Any other programs I might need? I'm just looking for how to start, I want to build the game from scratch. I want to make the game engine(Where Do I start?) I want to learn how to create the start screen and then link the levels or scroll the screen. I'm looking for just basic help(Or advance help if possible) I can figure it out once I'm started but that's been my biggest problem, getting started. If anyone can help me with some information or links it would be greatly appreciated! If possible Free Program links and Free Information links since this is my first project. Thank you!

Advertisement
I think most of your questions are answered in GDNet's For Beginners section.

Start off by learning a language (C++ would probably be the one most suited for game development,) then some simple API for input handling, graphics and so on. (May I suggest SDL?)

After this, you should probably start with a simpler type of game, such as a Tetris or Space Invaders clone. When you've gotten a feel for the process of making a game, you could take a look at some articles about more complex game engines in general (GDNet surely has some) and perhaps take a look at the source code of some open source games.

See if your local library has a copy of Ron Penton's Data Structures for Game Programmers book.
It uses C++ to build a 2D game like the one you have in mind and should give you an idea of what you'll need to get there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement