OpenGL vs DirectX10 (xp?)

Started by
22 comments, last by sirGustav 16 years ago
Hi, i'm programming about some time now, and I think is time to learn a graphic api(other than allegro). Should I learn OpenGL or DirectX? DirectX 10 is vista only, but can i program for it on my xp machine? Worth learn DirectX 9? OpenGL can do the same things DirectX 10 can? Which one is easyer to learn, DirectX or OpenGL? Is it easy to setup Code::Blocs(Mingw), to use DirectX or OpenGL? Thanks.
Advertisement
This is a commonly asked question...
vs threads like this are very much frowned on here, and will probably be closed by a moderator. That said, the APIs are pretty much equivalent, so pick the one for the platform(s) you use, and the coding style you prefer.

I would also strongly recommend that you start out with a game engine, rather than starting out with the low level stuff - you might look at Panda3D.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I know this question is old, but what I realy wanna know is if i can program to diretcx 10 in a windows xp machine and if worth learn directx 9,although directx 10 is out there.
Quote:Original post by Escarab
if i can program to diretcx 10 in a windows xp machine
Nope, you need Vista
if worth learn directx 9,although directx 10 is out there.
A lot of the things you can learn from using an API like DirectX 9 will be useful if/when you make the switch to Direct3D 10
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
The API isn't important, the underlaying 3D concepts are however.
You actually can program DX10 on XP, you just won't be able to compile any of it :P. I think it would be worth learning DX9 even though DX10 is becoming more and more common. DX9 is not quite as advanced as DX10 so it may be easier to learn. If this is your first time I think learning the concepts is much more important than learning features. Once you are comfortable with the basics learn some more advanced things about DX9. Then when you are very comfortable with DX9 (and have Vista) you can start DX10. You will learn quickly because you can skip the basics because you already know them. You could jump right into the cool features that solve a lot of the limitations that you will find in DX9.
Hope that helps,
zach297
Should I learn OpenGL or DirectX?

Learn both?
You probably mean which should you learn first.

Quote:DirectX 10 is vista only, but can i program for it on my xp machine?

You can write code that uses DX10 but you can't run it on XP.

Quote:Worth learn DirectX 9?

If you want to use DirectX on XP then DX9 is the way to go.

Quote:OpenGL can do the same things DirectX 10 can?

Yes.

Quote:Which one is easyer to learn, DirectX or OpenGL?

On Windows...

OpenGL is easier to start off with. DirectX is easier once you start to do anything non-trivial, that is unless you use a library to manage OpenGL's extensions for you, in which case they're both about equal I'd say.

Quote:Is it easy to setup Code::Blocs(Mingw), to use DirectX or OpenGL?

I can't speak for Code::Blocks specifically, but in general, yes.
By the by, Visual C++ Express Edition 2008 is free.
Quote:Original post by zach297
You actually can program DX10 on XP, you just won't be able to compile any of it :P.

I believe you can compile it, you just can't run it..
Quote:Original post by dmatter
Quote:OpenGL can do the same things DirectX 10 can?

Yes.

I don't think OpenGL can do geometry shaders (yet).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement