• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lorddonk

Beginning 3D Game Design (Need Help!)

This topic is 3913 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello GameDev! My name is Lorddonk and I want to create a game! -But, I need some serious help first. Over the past month or so I've downloaded far more things than my harddrive would like to remember, OGRE 3D, Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2008, Microsoft DirectX Platform SDK, Irrlicht, Crystal Space, Cell, and a lot more, only to uninstall them a few hours later after being complete lost, as to how to use them. I just am lost and have no idea how to "form" a game using them. Througout the years I've graduated as many others have from my inital mindset of "I can create the ultimate new MMORPG!" using Playerworlds, and Konfuze, then BYOND. And I began deciding, "Okay, I will just make an RPG". And I have been making games with RPG Maker XP for the past few years. Thanks to school, I've been introduced to programming HTML, CSS, ActionScript, LINGO, and Visual Basic.NET. I think I'm ready to learn C++ and code a game that will really resemble proffesional industry leading games. I understand that you need to use a compiler and language (I choose Microsoft Visual C++, and C++ as its whats most used in the industry) but I'm just caught up in everything. The only tutorials I find are teaching basic math and overviews of C++ and I've read and followed tutorials like this at least a hundred times now. I understand the concepts already, I need to learn to do things. I don't get how to take this model I created in 3D Studio Max and put it into a game, I don't know how to code something that will place that model on a map and make it move and respond to different stuff. I don't find a tutorial geared towards creating an RPG style game! I'm completely stupid apparently as it seems everyone else already gets this stuff and its really frustrating! I really am interested in seeing what it takes to create a game. I want to complete a game and eventually go into the industry. I am hoping that someone can provide me some light and show me which way to go. I greatly appreciate any responses. Thank you so very much for your time. ~Lorddonk

Advertisement
ok, here's some brief step to get you on your way

1) learn your language (c++ in this case)

-cplusplus.com , cprogramming.com, and i suggest picking up
a copy of "The C++ Programming Language" quite a while after that

2) at this point, you've been working with the "Console" doin little calulators and stuff, because with Standard Library thats all you can do, once you're comfortable with the language, you need to pick an API, which is where graphics come in, I suggest going with SDL, which is 2D. don't jump into 3D too fast, cause trust me, the logic involved in programming a game is enough to learn without having to worry about combining transformation matricies

www.lazyfoo.net will show you where to download SDL, how to install it, and gives you all the knowledge to start making some pretty decent 2D games liek Mario, tetris, etc...

3)move onto 3D, DirectX and openGL are the 2 main 3D API's (application programming interface) it'll take you at least 6 months to really get enough of a handle to get to this step anyways (you should have made at least 2 2D games by this point) , so come back in 6 months and ask how to get into 3D

BTW Irrlicht, Crystal Space, and Cell are game engines i believe, these are like APIs, but are usually built on top of an API, are game oriented, and i believe are higher level ( you don't have to mess with alot of the complicated grunt work) , it'd suggest learning to get down and dirty with SDL before you mess with game engines

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!