• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bswc

methods on researching a commercial game engine

This topic is 3732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

the company has purchased a copy of a commercial game engine, UnReal 2. and i am responsible for researching on it and making simple demonstrations on each subsystem that the engine possess. and when diving into it, i find the schedule a bit unbearable,it's just too slow, now i often read just one cpp file together with one header file everyday. i start researching on the engine like this: analyse the basic functionality of each subsystems, and then go deep into the subsystem and read each line of code in the system. but because of millions of code line that i read, i often forget sth, and can not catch the main point of the subsystem, and i doubt this way of researching an engine, a bit stupid, i am wondering is there any method which can boost up the research of game engine,and make it available for development in a shortest time? thanks in advance, all regards, bswc

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
Read the documentation instead of the code?

of course that method works, but the documentation shipped with the engine is not available now, for the boss purchase it with a name of another company,and so the documentation is in short.sorry for not mentioning that point.:(

also even read the documentation, there must be some more points on that, because lengthy article of documentation often can easily get one feel sleepy, and any other method to make sure the reading more efficient and even more effective when spending time on documentation or codes? and make use of the engine in the shortest time.

i have read the book named code reading(the open source perspective),by Diomidis Spinellis,which mentions something about reseaching on a big system, but i want to know more about it.
thanks Hodgman,
regards,
bswc.

If you've got a valid license for the engine, you should just be able to talk to Epic and get the docs straight from them.

IIRC, they have all of the documentation available on the Unreal Developers web-site as well. You should have been given a login/account for that site.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!