• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brunix007

[Direct3D fullscreen and child windows ?]

This topic is 3847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'd like to know if it's possible to display a child window inside a fullscreen direct3D application ? My aim is to display a child window (with style WS_POPUP) containing a flash animation inside a direct3D application which displays some graphics and textures. It works fine in windowed mode, but in fullscreen, my child window is here, but not well displayed. If I click on it, it appears like "blinking", perhaps due to the refresh of the direct3D display, and I can't return to click on the direct3D diplay. I read that the Direct3D display is exclusive, and I'd like to know if someone can have an idea about my issue. Thanks for reply. PS : I'm using VC++ 6.0 and Direct3D 9

Advertisement
D3D will pretty much "own" the display in full-screen mode, trying to get any other windows to display could result in erratic results or even losing the device. It may also result in severely decreased performance, if multiple rendering sub-systems are involved and have to communicate with each other.

Also I strongly suggest you use one of the newer versions of Visual C++, VC6 is severely outdated.

Thank you for yours replies !

I tried the SetDialogBoxMode function and indeed, my child window is well displayed in my fullscreen direct3D application. I can click on both.

Now I have to check the performance and the behaviour with this mode to see if it's ok.

Thanks again !

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!