• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vonsatan

3D rendering in a browser

This topic is 3707 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! Got a couple of questions someone might be able to help me with.... I've decided I'd like to experiment with integration of my 3d engine with a browser. I'd assume to do this through the creation of an activex control of some kind... but it's been a looooong time since I've done any of this type of thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone played with connecting a 3d renderer to a browser? cheers.

Advertisement
Im not sure if this will be any help.
http://www.sarc.qub.ac.uk/~stan/CCT_EuroHaptics06.pdf

Also i did find something a few weeks ago, it was a plug-in that allowed you to view 3D bojects via a internet browser. I can't remember the site's name, or how i got to.

Quote:
Original post by Xadrieth
Also i did find something a few weeks ago, it was a plug-in that allowed you to view 3D bojects via a internet browser. I can't remember the site's name, or how i got to.

You might be thinking about Cortona. As far as I know that's one of the more popular VRML browser plugins out there. (In fact, it's the only one I know of, though surely there must be some more around.)

Something I posted a few weeks ago about the same subject
Quote:
Original post by WillPash
Yes I admit in the past Flash wasn't totally ideal for 3D accelerated graphics. But there are some brilliant new projects which enable you to do full blown 3D graphics, it might not deal with full accelerated 3D shader technology, but the results are still impressive. There is Papervision3D, which more information is here in the blog. Papervision3D is a free library which you use writing with Actionscript 2/3. With Papervision3D, the 3D is as good, if not better than you will get with most web browsers at this moment in time. Papervision3D can be used with or without Adobe Flash IDE (Tad bit Expensive!), as you can also code Actionscript with the Free FlexSDK and FlashDevelop. These tools and other alternatives enable you to develop full blown cross browser and platform 3D web games with relative ease and in some cases for free.

Also with the possibilities of Future flash developed applications running C++ programs which includes
" target="_blank">Quake running
. It may not run the latest technology, but it runs decent 3D, at a fast reasonable level. It just shows how far flash is going and making sure that full running 3D interactive game running on your regular browser is more than a reality in the very near future.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!