• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Spk

Any good high-level game networking libs for .NET ?

This topic is 3865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for the equivalent of TNL but for .NET. I know about Lidgren and such, but I'm after something higher-level. So before I go reinvent the wheel I wanted to ask if some of you know of any decent game networking library written for .NET / C# that supports game object ghosting and events. Thanks in advance for your help. ps: before you get the guns out, I did read the FAQ and could only find references to C++ libraries.

Advertisement
The only higher-level system for C# I know of is XNA Networking, which requires a Live! subscription, and is developer-only right now (you can't redistribute anything to end users). There is also the general C# remoting and serialization support, although that is probably not high-performance enough for a real-time game.

I am not familiar with XNA much ... but Socket Tools ( http://www.catalyst.com ) might be useful?

Yes, Lidgren is good. (sorry to for the necromancy:P)

http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-library-network/

Lidgren, as posted above, is a very nice networking library. I've used it on several occasions.

Quote:
The only higher-level system for C# I know of is XNA Networking, which requires a Live! subscription, and is developer-only right now (you can't redistribute anything to end users). There is also the general C# remoting and serialization support, although that is probably not high-performance enough for a real-time game.

XNA doesn't require any subscriptions. You only need a subscription if you're going to develop for the Xbox 360. Also, you are allowed to commercially release XNA games for Windows. If you develop an Xbox 360 game, it has to go through the same approval process as any Xbox 360 game, and is extremely difficult to get approved.

Quote:
XNA doesn't require any subscriptions.

Being a DirectX/XNA, MVP, I'd feel ashamed if I got that part wrong!

However, what I said was that the networking in XNA requires a Live! subscription for the user who wants to use it, which is actually required (both on Xbox and Window). In addition, right now, there is no redistributable for the networking services in XNA 2.0, so you can't even (legally) release a game using those services at all. They are considered a beta for now, and will probably reach release by the 3.0 release (end this year).

Quote:
However, what I said was that the networking in XNA requires a Live! subscription for the user who wants to use it...

I'm sorry; I misunderstood. It's just that I commonly see people saying that XNA development requires purchasing a subscription from Microsoft. I jumped too quickly to an incorrect conclusion. Again, I'm sorry.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!