[web] Multiplayer login system. (need help with it)

Started by
3 comments, last by OJA 16 years ago
Hello. My name is Owen. I need help with a login system, and where I can find a more advanced one for multiple users to use. Let's say I have a website, and a login, when the user logs in it will take them to a members page, it will also display their info, such as Username: Daniel Coins : 10,062 Profile(Would be a link) etc... Then another user logs in, and it will say their info, such as Username: OJA Coins : 386,543 Profile(Would be a link) How do I get a login system which will allow this? Without me creating multiple pages for each seperate user. The login I use now only allows one members area, so I have to create a seperate page for each user that signs up so their info is displayed. Do you lot know where I can get an advanced Login system where it allows me to just create one page and template, and that login will sort out all the info for them on that one page...? If so, PLEASE post it below. I don't mind if it's- Php MySQL Remote Login systems -- A random website which supplies one. Please post one, if you know one of any kind, or know how to help me out.
Advertisement
What you're asking for is to build up the page dynamically based on who is logged in. This is pretty much the way that 99% of the internet works these days, and is 'simply' a case of using a server-side programming language to generate the pages, rather than raw HTML. A database such as MySQL is often brought into the mix to store the details on each user, as well as commonly holding the page content too.

Without knowing exactly what you want it for, I doubt anybody is going to be able to point you at some package that solves your requirement. Typically everybody writes these pages for themselves, to meet the precise specifications that they have.
Any kind of web application framework will provide you with a Session object which identifies individual user. When you generate the page, you can then use that as a starting point to obtain relevant user-specific data.

PHP example.
The easiest thing to do is to have a login page that responds by checking the password, and then putting the user ID, an expiration time, the user IP address, and a hash of those three plus a server-secret key into a cookie. When you receive that cookie in your server-side script (PHP, JSP, ASP, etc) then you can pick apart user ID, time and IP; verify that the time hasn't expired and that the IP is still the same, and that the hash is correct, and if so, assume that the user ID is right. If something doesn't match, go back to the login page.

Most web application frameworks have some support for this already, although what level of authentication they support varies.

Finally, I'll move this to Web Development.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thanks for all the help guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement