• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

Online Version Control

This topic is 3911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering if anyone knew of anything like that? I've never used anything like that before so I'm asking. I googled and saw alot of links about subversion but i'm wondering if there's anything else.

Advertisement
What all do you mean by "online"? I think almost every existing version control tool supports running off of a remote server, if that's what you mean.

sourceforge is the only one that comes to mind. I know there are other hosts that specialize in subversion hosting but I can't for the life of me remember their names.

Otherwise, if you have a decent broadband connection, setting up subversion is pretty darn easy. I've actually got a subversion host running out of a friend's Cable broadband connection

-me

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Just wondering if anyone knew of anything like that? I've never used anything like that before so I'm asking. I googled and saw alot of links about subversion but i'm wondering if there's anything else.

Are you looking for something free or are you willing to pay for it? The obvious free options are Sourceforge and Google Code, both of which require you to open-source your code.

If you're not willing to go open source then you'll probably have to pay. CVS Dude gets quite a bit of mention, but I don't know how good they are. Alternatively if you already have web hosting you might be able to install CVS or SVN on it and use that (which is what I do).

A search of the forum find you some previous recommendation threads on the same topic too.

I just run a CVS server off my old XP machine and use dyndns to map a hostname to the ip. Assembla looks nice, 500 MB should be plenty for most projects. Are there any "gotchas" with that service?

Quote:
Original post by MJP
I just run a CVS server off my old XP machine and use dyndns to map a hostname to the ip. Assembla looks nice, 500 MB should be plenty for most projects. Are there any "gotchas" with that service?

The concern I might have with using such a service is if your work truly is meant to not be open source, what's to stop an administrator of the web server from taking a copy of the source? That would be my main concern.

In the past, I've done similar to your CVS approach, except using SVN.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!