Online Version Control

Started by
7 comments, last by Rydinare 16 years ago
Just wondering if anyone knew of anything like that? I've never used anything like that before so I'm asking. I googled and saw alot of links about subversion but i'm wondering if there's anything else.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
What all do you mean by "online"? I think almost every existing version control tool supports running off of a remote server, if that's what you mean.
I meant a site which will host our code and allow version control from there. Again, I'm not too familiar with all this.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

sourceforge is the only one that comes to mind. I know there are other hosts that specialize in subversion hosting but I can't for the life of me remember their names.

Otherwise, if you have a decent broadband connection, setting up subversion is pretty darn easy. I've actually got a subversion host running out of a friend's Cable broadband connection

-me
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Just wondering if anyone knew of anything like that? I've never used anything like that before so I'm asking. I googled and saw alot of links about subversion but i'm wondering if there's anything else.

Are you looking for something free or are you willing to pay for it? The obvious free options are Sourceforge and Google Code, both of which require you to open-source your code.

If you're not willing to go open source then you'll probably have to pay. CVS Dude gets quite a bit of mention, but I don't know how good they are. Alternatively if you already have web hosting you might be able to install CVS or SVN on it and use that (which is what I do).

A search of the forum find you some previous recommendation threads on the same topic too.
Assembla is a really good one. It's free and not limited to open source projects.

Assembla site link.
Yeah, lots of options for sites.

Edit: removed duplicate suggestion for Assembla :)

Wikipedia has a pretty good comparison of free open-source hosting, and miscellanous information on free software hosting.
I just run a CVS server off my old XP machine and use dyndns to map a hostname to the ip. Assembla looks nice, 500 MB should be plenty for most projects. Are there any "gotchas" with that service?
Quote:Original post by MJP
I just run a CVS server off my old XP machine and use dyndns to map a hostname to the ip. Assembla looks nice, 500 MB should be plenty for most projects. Are there any "gotchas" with that service?

The concern I might have with using such a service is if your work truly is meant to not be open source, what's to stop an administrator of the web server from taking a copy of the source? That would be my main concern.

In the past, I've done similar to your CVS approach, except using SVN.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement