Sign in to follow this  

Alha blend, billboard and png files

This topic is 3576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys!! i have a problem with a png file and the alpha channel, i try to implement a billboard effect but y can't avoid the transparent of the texture, when i load the texture with Photoshop i see a transparent effect... but when i load it into my engine a get all the background black ... :( i use this code to load the texture using devIL
 glGenTextures(1, &id); 
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, id); 

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_GENERATE_MIPMAP, GL_TRUE);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
        glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
        glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);
	//glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV,GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE,GL_REPLACE);
	gluBuild2DMipmaps (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 3,ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_WIDTH),ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT), ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_FORMAT), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, ilGetData());

and them when i render a texture over a simple 4 vertex poly i use glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST); glAlphaFunc(GL_EQUAL, 1.0); // Draw my objects... glDisable(GL_ALPHA_TEST); any clue on what happend ?? thanks in advance!

Here is the man page for gluBuild2DMipmaps. Take a look at the internalFormat parameter. You're creating a texture with 3 color channels (RGB), so there is no alpha channel. If alpha is missing, when OpenGL expands the color to RGBA it takes the alpha channel to be 1.0.

Sign in to follow this