What is going on with this code? (glut)

Started by
0 comments, last by The Orange Peanut 16 years ago
I'm trying to debug and make sure I correct values, and I'm doing it with regular print statements. However, depending on whether or not I have a print statement, my other print statements won't actually print until the program has stopped. Take a look at this relevant section of code

void mouse(int button, int state, int x, int y)

{   

switch(button)

{

case GLUT_LEFT_BUTTON:

if(state == GLUT_DOWN) 

{

if(current_pt == true)
        {
           lines[current_line].p1.x = x;
           lines[current_line].p1.y = screenHeight - y;
           current_pt = false;
        }
        else if(current_pt == false)
        {
            lines[current_line].p2.x = x;
            lines[current_line].p2.y = screenHeight - y;
            current_pt = true;

slope = (lines[0].p2.y - lines[0].p1.y)/(lines[0].p2.x - lines[0].p1.x);

}
        else
        {
            cout << "I messed up somewhere." << endl;
        }
        cout << slope;
        cout << "(" << lines[0].p1.x << ", " << lines[0].p1.y << ") to (" 
        << lines[0].p2.x << ", " << lines[0].p2.y << ")" << endl;  //debugging

glutPostRedisplay();

}

break;

case GLUT_RIGHT_BUTTON:

if(state == GLUT_DOWN) 

{

glutPostRedisplay();

}

break;

default:

break;

}

}

Near the end of the case block, see the cout << slope; followed by a two-line cout statement? If I comment out the two-line cout statement, slope won't print until I exit the program. Slope is a global variable that is initialized to 999, so if I click on my screen, say, 3 times, after I terminate the program the output will THEN show-up as 999999999. If I leave the function as it is (with the cout statement NOT commented out), it works. What could be the problem? Also, I have another program where I do the same thing, and it's similar block works perfectly, which is why I'm perplexed as to why this isn't working. And I know the code is a mess... I'll fix the actual code after I can fix my debugging stuff (that's the whole point!) :) Thanks
Dat is off da hizzle fo shizzle dizzle
Advertisement
Nevermind. I rarely use C++ and I totally forgot that I had to flush buffer. Of course, when I changed my cout statements to include endl at the end, the buffer was getting flushed and my output was correct. Whoops.
Dat is off da hizzle fo shizzle dizzle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement