Good books.. any experience anyone?

Started by
5 comments, last by razoorsharp 16 years ago
Hey all just wanted to know if anyone had experience with the following books http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/707/boeken1zg5.jpg Yeah i do the design of www.kingdomsofhayr.com And i know some Lua kind of scripting with c++ but it stops after reverse engineering scrips for me . Also i canm make some basic models but mapping is really messed up for me and textures . I mostly stick to writing but want to get some more skills to help in my project and game industry . (even if i can only mke smal meaningless games like just another 3d snake or a paperboy version of a dog taking a leak against office buildings and employers (a dog's life)) Does anyone have experience with these books... are they any good? Because as you can see the price tag is very high
Advertisement
Can this be moved to "For beginners"
Used the wrong part of the forum , or so it would seem
Moving...
I personally recommend scowering the internet for tutorials before buying books. I think there are so many good resources out there (for free!), especially at beginner level.

For example, there is a 2nd eddition of C++ in 21 days here. EDIT: I'm not saying this book is amazing (some of the explanations are a bit longwinded and iffy), but it's about as good as any other book, and free to boot.

And I'm sure there are similar tutorials for the arts componenet too (I remember doing a tutorial for modelling a person in milkshape, so i'm sure a huge mainstream program like max/maya has a few enthusiast ran sites).
First of all, lol @ the Bol screencap ;)

Second of all: I do hear a lot of people talk praise about 'Beginning C++ Through Game Programming', so I think you should at least go with that book. And besides that the pricetag is not that high compared to other books about programming, which usually are in the 50-80 euro area.

[Edited by - M-E on April 3, 2008 10:47:42 AM]
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein
Quote:Original post by M-E
First of all, lol @ the Bol screencap ;)

Second of all: I do hear a lot of people talk praise about 'Beginning C++ Through Game Programming', so I think you should at least go with that book. And besides that the pricetag is not that high compared to other books about programming, which usually are around the 50-80 euro area.

I can also recommend "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming". I am also reading it at the moment and I haven't gotten problems understanding it, so it is easy to follow. It has great examples and it describes many ways to do things, but warns if they aren't really good ways. I also like the fact that it focuses on games, so you can see how different things fit to game developing. Just be sure to pick up the second edition. I bought the first edition on christmas and I kinda regret it that I did not do more research, as there was the newer version available. Nevertheless, I do think it is a great book. I sure do recommend it to you!

thanks a lot . the beginner program book is comming in in the course of next week (too bad because i wanted to get started right away)

I Did a course in 3dsmax just to let you know i do know how to model stuff , swords,houses, cartoonish dragons and most objects .
My problem is with texturing animation and specifically doing the models for games .

You can make a nice render but that does not make a model worth while to be used in games like polycounts the construction, collision boxes, coding involved, normal mapping .
You name it .. and i find the online tutorials a bit too advanced because they are mostly written by people who have been doing it for years.
So a really good step by step Uv unwrapping tutorial is hard to find for me .

Thats why i wanted to do characters and animation and low polygon.. though to combine the 2 would get me some experience because the character book is supposed to bemade for the Unreal Engine so very game orientated .

Did anyone buy those??
The Character and Lowpoly one ?

Realy need some more skills to do my project
www.kingdomsofhayr.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement