• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DestX

Problem with SDL_Mix and mouse buttons

This topic is 3905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've ran into this problem when trying to run SDL_Mix yesterday, since then I looked around alot, but I couldn't really find anything like my problem = Anyway, I'm making a Tetris Clone as a first project, and on the game screen I have a side menu with buttons to be operated by the mouse(Start, Pause, Music, Records, etc.), right now the only button initiallized for being clickable is the Start Button, that turns to a stop button(Using background flip) that closes the game, after being clicked and spawning a block on the screen, this button works perfectly and does everything correctly, but once I put in the SDL_Mixer and music/sound commands, whenever I click the button it makes the game close = I tried isolating the code and came to the conclusion that the problem causing part of the code is the Mix_OpenAudio command... here's the relevant code excerpt: Headers, initiallizers and all the other beginning crap. #include "stdafx.h" #include <iostream> #include <string> #include "SDL/SDL.h" #include "SDL/SDL_image.h" #include "SDL/SDL_mixer.h" #ifndef GRAPHIC #define GRAPHIC #include "GraphicsFunction.h" #endif SDL_Event event; const int WINDOW_WIDTH = 384; const int WINDOW_HEIGHT = 576; SDL_Surface *screen; SDL_Surface *background; SDL_Surface *sprite; Mix_Music *TTA; Mix_Chunk *moveblock; Mix_Chunk *placeblock; Mix_Chunk *destroyline; Mix_Chunk *special; Mix_Chunk *pause; //A function call to draw a sprite on screen. void drawSprite(SDL_Surface *string, SDL_Surface *screen, int srcx, int srcy, int srcw, int srch, double destx, double desty, int destw, int desth); int main(int argc, char *args[]) { SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO|SDL_INIT_AUDIO); Mix_OpenAudio(22050, AUDIO_S16, 2, 4096); SDL_Surface* screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(WINDOW_WIDTH, WINDOW_HEIGHT, 0, SDL_DOUBLEBUF|SDL_HWSURFACE); SDL_WM_SetCaption("BattleBlocks", 0); //coordinates for the start button SDL_Rect start; start.x = 281; start.y = 186; start.w = 84; start.h = 33; menu loop: //main game loop, starts with menu and moves to 2nd game loop when start is pressed. bool keysHeld[323]; bool gamerunning=false; bool menu=true; while(menu) { if(SDL_PollEvent(&event)) { if(event.type == SDL_QUIT) { menu=false; gamerunning=false; } int x = 0; int y = 0; if(event.type == SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN) { if(event.button.button == SDL_BUTTON_LEFT) { x = event.motion.x; y = event.motion.y; if((x>start.x)&&(x<(start.x+start.w))&&(y>start.y)&&(y<(start.y+start.h))) { //draw the block sprite , change the background image and start main game. drawSprite(sprite, screen, 0, 0, 37, 37, destx, desty, 37, 37); SDL_FreeSurface(background); SDL_Surface *background = IMG_Load("Backgroundwp.png"); gamerunning=true; }}}} SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, SDL_MapRGB(screen->format, 0, 0, 0)); drawSprite(background, screen, 0, 0, 384, 576, 0, 0, 384, 576); SDL_Flip(screen); *After this comes a 2nd loop for the game itself, but that is not important right now, the game closes before any of the code here gets to take effect* I don't get any errors while running, but 2 warnings about changing a double value into a Sint16 for the falling speed(1.1, 0.3 and 1.9) in the 2nd loop, however that never gave me any problems before the Mix_OpenAudio, so I doubt that's the reason..... Any help in this please?

Advertisement
Looks like you're not checking return values/error codes. Be sure to check the return values of functions like SDL_Init() and MIX_OpenAudio(); you can also use (e.g.) SDL_GetError/Mix_GetError() (or whatever those functions are called) to see what went wrong if you do get an error.

I haven't really heard of those anywhere...
Can you explain how they work(What arguments to use etc.)

Edit: Okay, I sorted it out with a few hints from the debugger =P
For future reference: apparently in this part of the code:

//draw the block sprite , change the background image and start main game.
drawSprite(sprite, screen, 0, 0, 37, 37, destx, desty, 37, 37);
SDL_FreeSurface(background);
SDL_Surface *background = IMG_Load("Backgroundwp.png");
gamerunning=true;
}}}}

When I changed the Surface to load to a different surface it stopped the crushing... no idea why, or even why the SDL_Mix caused it, but that's what fixed it =

Anyway, I would still like to know what the GetError comands do if you wouldn't mind taking the time to explain.
Thanks.

[Edited by - DestX on April 3, 2008 2:27:51 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!