About textures and transparency...

Started by
3 comments, last by Stormtrooper 16 years ago
Didn't know where to put this but anyways... I want to load a texture, say a ball and the area around the ball should be transparent. I make an image in Photoshop with transparent background and save it as a 32 bit TGA. Now i load it in my OpenGL program and it has always worked wonders. Yesterday i was going to do this again in some project but i can't for the world get it to work. I have tried using the Simple OpenGL Image Library (SOIL) but can't get it to work. I also tried GLFWs (the window lib thingie im using) own Tex loading function but can't get it to work either. The only thing different from last time when i got it to work is that i was using SDL. I figure GLFWs the problem, but how? I open the window with alpha blending and stuff enabled but it just doesn't want to work. Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Take a look at GL_BLEND.

You need to background your images with a 'transparency colour' (I use 254, 0, 254), enable GL_BLEND then set the glColor to your transparency colour, then render. Any part of the image that is the blend colour, it won't be shown.

I use it for my font rendering.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Do you mean like enabling Blending in OpenGL and then using something like
glColor4f(r, g, b, a); ?

EDIT: Oh nevermind, thanks for your help ^^
Hmm.. I can't get this to work.

I make a picture and set the background color to (254, 254, 254) and then draw something and save it as a jpeg (does filetype matter in this case?).

I load it in my program and:

glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex);
glColor3ub(254, 254, 254);

//I tried 4ub with 255 and 0 as the alpha channel with no luck.

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glEnd();

glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

Now... what am i doing wrong? I have tried changing the blendfunc but i still can't get it to work.
Jpegs do not have an alpha channel, so you need a fileformat that supports alpha channel like png. Or you can set each pixel of a certain color to be transparent. The first option is probably simpler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement