Problems with custom matrices (SOLVED)

Started by
3 comments, last by n00body 16 years ago
SITUATION: Currently, I'm trying to implement a system where I don't use glMatrixMode(), or the gl transformation functions, at all. Instead, I want to be able to use my own matrix class and functions, then passing in the matrix data directly to my vertex shader to perform the transformation. PROBLEM: Originally, when I was just doing the modelview matrix for my early tests, it worked just fine. The camera moved as expected, the object moved as expected. Now, however, that I have added the projection matrix into it, it is causing weird behavior. As an example, I was trying to draw the Teapot, and making it rotate around the X axis. In my shader, I multiply each vertex position by my custom worldViewProj matrix. The output, is me looking down from the top of the teapot, rather than the side, and the teapot is vertically flattened as it spins around the X axis. Is there something I have to disable with OpenGL in order for my custom projection matrix to work correctly? If code (C++ and/or shader), and images are necessary to diagnose the problem, please let me know. Thanks. [Edited by - n00body on April 3, 2008 5:26:26 PM]

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Advertisement
I think code would help, specifically your matrix generation code, and maybe the OpenGL setup and drawing code.
In my libraries I calculate projection and transformation matrices myself and then use the glLoadMatrixf method to allow OpenGL to do the actual transforms itself. Why not do that, as the end effect is the same (i.e. you still get to use the matrix how ever you want in the shader code)?
could you please post your projection transformation code?
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us,universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."A. Einstein
I can think of two errors:

• Your ´projection matrix is wrong (use glFrustum or gluPerspective and read that back to compare OpenGL's projection matrix with your own) or

• The order in which the matrices are multiplied is wrong. I also use shaders and provide my own matrices. My modelviewprojection matrix (the one I provide as a shader parameter) is calculated as projection * view * model.

If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
I know this is gonna seem stupid, but I figured out the problem. I knew it couldn't have been the matrix code, or the ordering, since I'd basically copied those straight from another example. So I was perplexed as to what could be wrong. Only to find it out while I was looking around in the glew header.

I went to all the trouble of making sure my matrices were column-major so GL would like them, but then used the wrong function to pass them in. So as a result, it was sending the transpose, rather than the unmodified matrix.

Sorry about the wasted time. :(

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement