• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jpventoso

Which way to go

This topic is 3851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, my name is Juan Pablo, I'm new here and excuse my english, I'm from Argentina :) and I'm impressed with this site and the forum. I'm developing a 3D Engine for Delphi and I'm very happy with it but, I'm beggining a physics system. I need your advice on this: I began with the creation of the world's classes and interfaces (abstract entities, static and dynamic objects, and so on) but I can't decide which way to go with this: - I can keep creating this classes and make the physics system to work with it, but it would enclose the engine to a certain type of world; - Or I can work on a more-freely physics system but it would require more end-user coding to make it work with the user's own classes. If you created or experienced some 3D engines that includes a physics system, please tell me how it works and what did you feel about it. I hope that my text was clear somehow :( And I hope you'll give me a hand! Thank you and congratulations for this forum!

Advertisement
I can't advise you on the process of designing a physics engine. However, as a Delphi programmer I can tell you that Newton is a pretty good physics engine( with Delphi support ). I have used it, as an integration to the Truevision3D engine, and it is very good. The way it was exposed in the engine was very reasonable.

In any case, if you wish to take a look at newton headers perhaps it will give you some design ideas.

Here: http://www.saschawillems.de/?page_id=75

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!