• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hplus0603

Grr...

This topic is 3876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I went to turn on my 10 month old Xbox 360, and was greeted by three cheerfully flashing red LEDs. Off topic, I know, but I just had to vent, and you're the quietest and most polite online bunch of guys I know ;-)

Advertisement
That's sad. I've had mine since January 2007, and no RROD (yet?). Just for the sake of curiosity, did you keep it verical or horizontal? Also, how much breathing room was underneath it? That, and how much did you use it?

I don't use mine a ton, and it's fairly well ventilated. I'm wondering if that has something to do with why it hasn't RROD'ed on me yet.

It was vertical, standing on a flat surface with 8" airspace above it in a media cabinet with fans -- I've felt it at times, and it's never been very hot. I think the RROD is just the (un-)luck of the draw. Here's hoping I get a newer mobo in the replacement. I asked if I could pay a fee and upgrade (I'd like HDMI out) but no go on that.

Btw: initially when you call, they tell you it takes 1 month to do it. After doing all that, I asked if I could pay a fee for faster shipping, and they said, yes, I should have requested that when they told me how long it takes. I could actually get free UPS shipping just by asking! I had them cancel the repair order and doing it over. Trying to save money by not volunteering the information, I imagine.

Oh, well, at least now I'll have time to finish Ratchet & Clank: Future and Final Fantasy XII on the other console ;-)

Been waiting and hoping for mine to RROD myself. That way I can go "OMG this is such a POS!" and buy a PS3. I have a serious love/hate relationship with the 360 since the first time i turned it on it was as loud as my vacuum cleaner.

I booted up my newest console* today randomly - a playstation. It worked, but for some reason is incredibly slow. Loading takes forever and it can't even run fast enough to play even the background music fluently. :(

*Its actually my girlfriend's. MY newest console is a SNES. If you haven't guessed, I'm not much of a gamer, especially with consoles. ;)

Have you tried the towel trick? If it can cure wetness, it must surely be able to cure something as simple as broken hardware!

The theory with the towel trick is that there's some warping of the mainboard that causes cracking, and when the console cools down, the cracks open. If you can re-warp the board, the connections are made, and it'll start again. However, I'm not THAT desperate. I just shoved the box in a box and dropped it off at the UPS store. I'll have it back in three weeks or so.

Really, there's no ABSOLUTE need for the box until APB ships.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!