Disadvantages to Code::Blocks?

Started by
30 comments, last by c4c0d3m0n 16 years ago
Hi As I'm interested in developing with the potential for multiple platform release, I'm currently looking at Code::Blocks as my IDE of choice. I've heard a few good things said about it but nothing conclusive over MSVS, *except* for the cross-platform support. Can anyone tell me why I would *not* want to use Code::Blocks vs., say MSVS 2008? In your response, please be aware that my game will be a pretty small project. Also that I am coming back to C++ after a long time so I doubt I will use the more arcane features of either IDE. -Nick
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nick of ZA
Hi

As I'm interested in developing with the potential for multiple platform release, I'm currently looking at Code::Blocks as my IDE of choice.

I've heard a few good things said about it but nothing conclusive over MSVS, *except* for the cross-platform support.

Can anyone tell me why I would *not* want to use Code::Blocks vs., say MSVS 2008?

In your response, please be aware that my game will be a pretty small project. Also that I am coming back to C++ after a long time so I doubt I will use the more arcane features of either IDE.

-Nick

I personally think the VS debugger is fantastic. That said if you're really interested in multiple platform release use both.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by Nick of ZA
Can anyone tell me why I would *not* want to use Code::Blocks vs., say MSVS 2008?

In fact, there is no reason to use anything else than MSVS under Windows. While Code::Blocks is not bad per-se, MSVS just plays in an entirely different league. It's vastly superior to C:B (and to pretty much every other IDE) is almost every single aspect. You don't have to be a highly experienced coder to appreciate features such as advanced Intellisense, the excellent debugger, integrated help, multicore compilation, etc.

Even when developing multiplatform code, nothing stops you from using MSVS under Windows, and some other IDE for other platforms.
Quote:Original post by Yann L
In fact, there is no reason to use anything else than MSVS under Windows. While Code::Blocks is not bad per-se, MSVS just plays in an entirely different league. It's vastly superior to C:B (and to pretty much every other IDE) is almost every single aspect.

That is true. Code::Blocks is a very repectable IDE. Visual Studio is exceptional in every way. There is nothing that competes with it, and that's from someone who uses it for commerical reasons every day.
Currently I use both Visual Studio and Code::Blocks to develop on Windows, maintaining parallel MSVC and gcc builds of a project. I do most of the development work in Visual Studio, but every now and then I come across a bug that only shows up in the gcc build, so I use Code::Blocks to debug it via gdb.
Most of my code is portable. I used MVC exclusively, for other platforms, I maintain a makefile, as well as portable unit test framework. Since the code is checked out from a source repository, testing it for portability is mostly trivial.

If running cygwin or other linux shell under windows, it's fairly trivial to run builds and tests in parallel.

Eclipse offers portable IDE, but while it's top notch for Java, it leaves a lot to be desired for C++ development.
There are one thing that made me use only Code::Blocks...

I already have MS2005 (Because of XNA) and MS2008 is awfully big and bloated and I do not have much space or patience to install it, so I stick with Code::Blocks and his 20Megs :)
IGDA São Paulo member.Game Design student.
Nick,

Before considering MSVS'08, pursue developing good OOP habits. MSVS is renowned for developing bad programming habits amongst beginners.

Hope my advice helps,
CL94
Quote:Hope my advice helps,

Not particularly, given that you haven't provided any kind of back up for this (particularly absurd) claim:
Quote:
MSVS is renowned for developing bad programming habits amongst beginners.

Care to enlighten us?
jpetrie,

It's what I've heard on many other forums. Also, MSVS teaches the user how to use their interface to make programs; someone would benefit much greater from learning a programming language such as C/C++ than using MSVS<insert version of choice>.

Cool down man,
CL94

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement