[4E6] Conclusion

Started by
43 comments, last by OOBrad21 15 years, 8 months ago
Here is a short conclusion on 4E6. My entry (Libertine) was far to ambitious and I realized it, during the creation of the meshes and the textures. The coding phase was very instructive for me, because I learned lots of things about classes, preparation of generic functions, event handling, logical flows, quest design and finally that the kernel of the game takes only one third of the complete development phase, the rest is story, meshes, textures and sound. The contest management could have been a little bit more striving in setting up prices. All participants made their job in creating a game, the competition admins should do their job, too. If a community page like gamedev.net announces a game development contest, I think it should take it a bit more seriously. Nevertheless it was lots of fun for me and I'm not angry because of the missing prices or the timeouts during the upload phase, because the biggest motivation were the clicks on my thread and the positive feedback. Intel's game demo contest is waiting. I saw, that some of you already applied for it. We meet there - my entry will be "Consecration" as "Best threaded game". See the Dev Blog for details... Have fun out there, Cheers XDigital
Advertisement
It was pretty awesome, glad you really enjoyed it. I ended up hitting the same barrier: hit a point where I realized I tried to do too much without enough things already done before I started (I seriously need to clean up my code base and learn physics). And, that damn novel. Always the novel.

But, hope to see you next year and this time, I hope to get to at least the finish line.
When will the submissions be evaluated? I had a ton of fun preparing for this contest, and as time goes on I feel more and more that I put in more work than warranted for this contest. Next year, I would love to participate again but I am a little discouraged at the apparent lack of commitment from the GameDev staff on this contest. I still greatly appreciate the opportunity, though. I just wish there was more apparent effort on part of GameDev.
I'm sure they'll be judged soon enough. Then again, it's never soon enough for the participants. As much as people complained about the elements and contest, I'd not be in a rush to judge either.

I have mixed feelings about the contest but I love the random elements and free form. I never have time but I've wanted to enter every year since Ninjas/Pirates/Robots/Aliens. That was the best year for high-tech, varied, complete entries. Then again, it had a theme everyone could appreciate and a great set of prizes as incentive.

The elements should never really matter. Any creative person should be able to adapt them to their needs. This year, I wanted to do a dark, comical game inspired by Rainbow Brite. Last year, I wanted to make a game inspired by Gem and the Holograms, with metal and rock, set in Europe, fighting the evils of economy eating, American Idols and country music. Comedy and imagination are so underrated in games. Every cartoon and movie from the 80s and 90s works as amazing fuel for thought.

People go overboard with their lofty ideas for such a short term project. Still, it is a little unbalanced that 2D flash and Game Maker artists can pummel programmers who can make the tech but not the content. Fewer programmers will enter, leaving pretty, complete, but low-tech submissions.

Since animators and artists don't waste time with likely to fail projects, I've considered paying for content that goes beyond my ability or schedule. To invest that seriously, I'd have to either have alterior motives or a decent ROI.

Sure, legal, freeware, shareware, or fully licensed software is obviously required for development. Why would anyone (like nVidia, AMD, Intel, Adobe, Autodesk, etc) sponsor a competition whose entries didn't reflect the potential of their products? Make bigger, better games and get bigger, better prizes. (I'd buy that for a dollar!)

For future contests, I'd recommend the following:
-Extend the contest to a full year, or 6 months, and have them back to back.
-Announce new elements the day the previous contest ends.
-Announce and commit to submission dates up front.
-Announce and commit to judging dates up front.
-Announce base prizes up front.
-Set a higher bar for minimum game requirements to balance entries.

[Edited by - BeastX on April 29, 2008 1:10:02 PM]
Quote:Original post by BeastX
For future contests, I'd recommend the following:
-Extend the contest to a full year, or 6 months, and have them back to back.
-Announce new elements the day the previous contest ends.
-Announce and commit to submission dates up front.
-Announce and commit to judging dates up front.
-Announce base prizes up front.

I definitely agree with an extension and committing to dates, but there are reasons that it's not like that. The mods on the site aren't full time gamedev moderators, so they can't really commit to certain dates because they probably have jobs or school. The same goes for most of the entrants. As for the extension, it's nice but I kind of think that people may lose interest after a year. You are right, and I think that the contest would be more popular, and more widely known if people could make these commitments. Of course there are things that could be done to make the contest better, and I think that they should work on that, but after all, I don't think they get paid much, if at all to run this contest.

On another note, I think the contest was pretty cool. I only wish I had finished.
The elements do matter and the elements this time around were just lame. It is clear by the lack of enthusiasm this time around, that the elements matter.

I personally felt that the OPs slack interpretation of "pony" was against the spirit of the competition. If it is allowed in future competitions, anyone can completely ignore any elements by naming things by the elements..
@GMuser: Whats wrong with my meshes? It took me several hours to design a spacecraft, which has a cockpit like a horse head. At least there are four different types of spacecrafts each with different design and each with horse heads. Ok, they don't gallop through the prairie, but hey... its open space.
The graphics look fine, but the pony element was not what I would call a "significant presence". You could replace the equine theme with canine theme and it's still the same thing at the end of the day. But in any case, at least you made something so credit should be given for that.
Quote:Original post by BeastX
I can't see it making it better if everyone has access to SM3.0 or whatever. Amazing games have been written before SM1.0 came around (like Quake 3, StarCraft, blah blah etc) and everything after that is just pretty effects.
I think any game which requires fancy effects to make it seem good, is probably not a very good game but just a pretty engine with minimal game play. I'd MUCH rather see a full-featured game using the Quake 1 engine than a few animated models bumbling around in the Doom III engine.

I think shorter contests are fine, the longer the contest the great the chance you got something that will interrupt you or get you discouraged. Plus, for people who don't plan that well *cough*me*cough* it means that they'll continue to design something even more unreasonable.

I will want to finish Turf Wars (4E5) and Ponies Among Us (4E6). I just have a severe conflict with my writing and other things I do in a year. :) So, I hope to finish but I don't always. Adding 1, 2, 8 months to the mess just means I'll have more opportunities to get distracted or push off development 'for another month' because I have plenty of time.

I would like to see all four elements as required for 4E7 (which I'll attempt to do, of course). Having a reliable start and end date ahead of time would be nice, mainly because I plan my major projects rather far in advance. Last year, I planned the summer for 4E6 but it ended up starting so far back that it got into my NaNoWriMo schedule (I write a novel a year) and my CuteGod development. Got to plan these things, too many fun things to do. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, running the contest over the end of the year holiday season (October through December) is probably good for those people who get days off (students) but rather hard on those who have family obligations but no 1-2 weeks off for the holiday (wage slaves).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement