• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
imranhoshimi

Technology Decision: Please advice

This topic is 3712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am going to write a game for which I need to decide which Graphic Technique I should use. I have a very basic idea of a game. I have written the story line and currently designing its document and concept art. The game is going to be 2D Side Scroller Run n Gun Platformer game like 'Metal Slug'. I am thinking of developing a Tile Engine for this and going to implement Parallax scrolling techniques to achieve the graphics. The thing is that I don't know if Tile Engines can be applicable to 2D Side Scroller kind of a game. So please advice me which techniques are popular in developing side scroller games such as 'Metal Slug' . I am going to use XNA GS 2.0 for the Rendering, Input, and Sound. Please advice.

Advertisement
Quote:
I don't know if Tile Engines can be applicable to 2D Side Scroller kind of a game.

It certainly can. Super Mario is one example of a tile-based side scroller.

Thankyou very much. I know where to go from here. Thanks again. Got to do some more research now that I have confirmed this. Tile Engines here I come...

If you want to learn some basic tile engine stuff, I made a whole bunch of free video tutorials using XNA GS 2.0: http://nick.gravelyn.com/tile-engine-series/. Admittedly the tutorials focus on a top-down type of viewport, but it's just a simple change of perspective to get it to look and act like a sidescroller. Hopefully the videos will help you out a little bit as you get going.

Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
If you want to learn some basic tile engine stuff, I made a whole bunch of free video tutorials using XNA GS 2.0:

Those look great! Thanks for posting this. I look forward to seeing more tutorials from you!

To the OP: Don't forget that there are many articles here on GDNet.

THanks Nick. Your Videos were the first tutorial I tried for XNA Tile Engine. They are very good.

Thanks for replying. Now I will first get my Game Design to make some more sense and in the mean time experiment with building basic tile engines for a start.

Thaks again.

And you are an MVP? Wow...what do you do Nick? I mean are you a student or doing a job?

Quote:
Original post by imranhoshimi
And you are an MVP? Wow...what do you do Nick? I mean are you a student or doing a job?

I'm currently working as an intern at an IT consulting firm. It's rather boring. When I get done there I have no idea what I'm going to do. I might go back to school for a psychology degree, but school and me don't get along well. So I might just try to make a living writing code. We'll see.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!