Technology Decision: Please advice

Started by
5 comments, last by NickGravelyn 15 years, 12 months ago
I am going to write a game for which I need to decide which Graphic Technique I should use. I have a very basic idea of a game. I have written the story line and currently designing its document and concept art. The game is going to be 2D Side Scroller Run n Gun Platformer game like 'Metal Slug'. I am thinking of developing a Tile Engine for this and going to implement Parallax scrolling techniques to achieve the graphics. The thing is that I don't know if Tile Engines can be applicable to 2D Side Scroller kind of a game. So please advice me which techniques are popular in developing side scroller games such as 'Metal Slug' . I am going to use XNA GS 2.0 for the Rendering, Input, and Sound. Please advice.
-Imran
Advertisement
Quote:I don't know if Tile Engines can be applicable to 2D Side Scroller kind of a game.

It certainly can. Super Mario is one example of a tile-based side scroller.
Thankyou very much. I know where to go from here. Thanks again. Got to do some more research now that I have confirmed this. Tile Engines here I come...

-Imran
If you want to learn some basic tile engine stuff, I made a whole bunch of free video tutorials using XNA GS 2.0: http://nick.gravelyn.com/tile-engine-series/. Admittedly the tutorials focus on a top-down type of viewport, but it's just a simple change of perspective to get it to look and act like a sidescroller. Hopefully the videos will help you out a little bit as you get going.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
If you want to learn some basic tile engine stuff, I made a whole bunch of free video tutorials using XNA GS 2.0:

Those look great! Thanks for posting this. I look forward to seeing more tutorials from you!

To the OP: Don't forget that there are many articles here on GDNet.
THanks Nick. Your Videos were the first tutorial I tried for XNA Tile Engine. They are very good.

Thanks for replying. Now I will first get my Game Design to make some more sense and in the mean time experiment with building basic tile engines for a start.

Thaks again.

And you are an MVP? Wow...what do you do Nick? I mean are you a student or doing a job?
-Imran
Quote:Original post by imranhoshimi
And you are an MVP? Wow...what do you do Nick? I mean are you a student or doing a job?

I'm currently working as an intern at an IT consulting firm. It's rather boring. When I get done there I have no idea what I'm going to do. I might go back to school for a psychology degree, but school and me don't get along well. So I might just try to make a living writing code. We'll see.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement