Jobs for noncombatants?

Started by
20 comments, last by fearghaill 15 years, 12 months ago
It's been a week since they arrived in your hometown, and now the entire city is overrun with zombies. You and a small group of survivors have lasted this long in a hastily fortified base, but supplies are running low. There was no choice but to start sending small groups into the city to scavenge for food (and weapons), but you've been left behind each time. They tell you it's to guard the base, but you know it's because you'd be a liability out there. That doesn't mean you can't find a way to help. What sort of activities would you like to see for noncombatant characters left in the base in a zombie survival turn-based tactics game? Improving the fortifications? Crafting makeshift armor & weapons? Training and exercising to be less useless? Jumping off a building to stop wasting precious food?
Advertisement
Building fortifications, loading magazines for the guns, organizing and preparing food supplies, analyzing maps to plan more successful scavenging outings (even if you don't go along), applying first aid (non-zombie-bite-related injuries), maintaining morale among other survivors, contending with weather-related challenges...

You could keep busy, I bet.

This is a neat spin on the zombie horror genre, I'm looking forward to what other people suggest.
discover a long forgotten trapped door in one corner of the fort, which leads you down into the depths of some ancient catacombs, twisting and treachering through room after room of assassin's creed-esque jump puzzles, until you discover... vampires
I really like the fortify idea, similar to a game called "The Horde" (amazing game I loved it)

I think it would be neat too to see these non combatants get attacked too.

Oh btw Iron Chef...I know where you live :P
Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
I think it would be neat too to see these non combatants get attacked too.

You mean, like when other survivors try to raid the base? That would be unthinkable.

I think the perfect read for you would be The Zombie Survival Guide. The sort of situations it describes don't quite fit what you want, but you can always take creative liberties, especially when the original book took creative liberties in spades.
Quote:Original post by Portugal Stew
I think the perfect read for you would be The Zombie Survival Guide. The sort of situations it describes don't quite fit what you want, but you can always take creative liberties, especially when the original book took creative liberties in spades.

*grins* I've read it, and World War Z, and have taken some inspiration from both.
Quote:Original post by fearghaill
Training and exercising to be less useless? Jumping off a building to stop wasting precious food?

Well that's stupid if you use a skill based system. No one will be able to get their suicide skill above 1!

Jokes aside, you'll need to find a way to make non-combatants worthwhile and useful. Everyone wants to contribute to the action. Without fighting that will be quite a giant task.
Quote:Original post by LmT
Quote:Original post by fearghaill
Training and exercising to be less useless? Jumping off a building to stop wasting precious food?

Well that's stupid if you use a skill based system. No one will be able to get their suicide skill above 1!

Jokes aside, you'll need to find a way to make non-combatants worthwhile and useful. Everyone wants to contribute to the action. Without fighting that will be quite a giant task.

In case I was unclear, this is going to be single player, at least for now. It will be up to the player to decide if they want to find a use for survivors with no combat skills or other obvious uses, or take the necessary steps to make sure they can never become a zombie. More people in your party = more mouths to feed.
It goes without saying that if player chooses to play a noncombatant, then there should be a good reason to do so. Certain position as a doctor or a researcher? A test of wits against the zombies with an inferior character?

Personally, I would choose this option. It would be rather interesting if the only weapon I have against a horde of zombies is my uninfected brain. Just like our community serving priest in half-life 2, just not as crazy-finger-happy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement